Help on Purchase!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ma3leemz

Reaction score
I have been scouring through the forums and am at a loss.. :scratchhead:
All knives seem to be amazing!

I am looking to purchase 3 knives - Gyuto, paring & serrated... (Japanese of course)
I have narrowed down my search to the following and would highly appreciate a verdict - :)

1. Gyuto - Misono Sweden Steel 210
2. Gyuto - Misono Molybdenum 210
3. Gyuto - Kagayaki Carbonext ES 210

1. Paring - Misono Molybdenum 80
2. Paring - Misono Sweden Steel 80
3. Any other recommendations?

1. Serrated (bread knife) - Misono Molybdenum 300

I am an amateur home chef and don't mind spending on good quality that will last...

Looking forward to your advice! Thanks...

Answering this http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2 would help others give you better advices.

There are tons of possible recommendations depending on your needs, your budget and your aesthetics preferences. Haven't used Misono's myself but they are oftern praised here on KKF for good fit and finish. Carbonext is another great value for money. So have a look at the linked thread above and tell us what exactly you are looking for.

I have narrowed down what I wanted and what knives interested me but for the sake of clarity I will answer this questionaire...

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's, paring, bread and maybe petty...

Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm for chef's, 80mm for paring, 300mm for bread and 120mm for petty

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
doesn't matter
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
looking to spend around $500 for all

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing veggies, chopping veggies, trimming meats, mincing veggies - regular home stuff, nothing huge..
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
none - cheap supermarket ones
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Hammer grip
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-cut mainly
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
scratch and stain resistance
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
light weight, nice handle
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
necessary - out of box usage
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
as long as possible

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
wood or synthetic cutting board
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
no
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes i am
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes i'd like to purchase a whetstone

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I would do carbon gyuto/ moly parer.

Do you do lots of inhand work, ie: peeling, or supremes? If not, maybe a petty is a better choice.....

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
scratch and stain resistance
Please note that carbon knives would require more care then stainless steel knives. And if you really want stain resistance, then you'd probably stick with stainless or semi-stainless.

I think Misono Sweden and Carbonext are both good choices.
Haven't heard anything good or bad about Misono bread knife. I guess most popular bread knife options are Mac bread knife and Tojiro ITK 270.

I’d also recommend you go for a 240mm gyutoh, even fairly common things like aubergines and leeks can prove problematic for a shorter blade. I have the 210 and 270mm Misono Swedish steel knives, and though I love them, I reckon a 240mm would serve me for 90% of my prep. I tend to switch between the two.

Do it right and go with carbon! Stainless is not your friend.
Many good J knife makers mentioned on this sight and many for sale on the B/S/Trade forum.
Personally I would go with a Gyuto from Watanabe ordered direct from him and a 270mm if you're a big person or 240 if not. No bread knife needed. Cheap old paring knife from a thriftstore will serve you fine. Two knives, one real purchase and you will live happily ever after!
Go forth and prosper.

I love carbon, but there's nothing wrong with good stainless, and in fact, it can be much better for many applications.

If you've decided those are you contenders, then go Misono Swedish Gyuto, Misono Moly Parer, and skip the bread knife and get a combo stone. In my opinion, you absolutely do want a stainless parer.

I don't think an expensive bread knife is necessary. Cheapo bread knives work just the same. No reason to drop a lot of money on any serrated knives. I would spend the majority on a gyuto, a little on a paring knife and almost nothing on the bread knife. Maybe $20-$30 on the bread knife. You also said you are looking for japanese handles? I would suggest checking out Jon's site japaneseknifeimports.com. He has a lot of great lines of Japanese knives. Many with your choice of japanese or western handle and carbon or stainless steel. As far as I know he doesn't really carry any bad knives. They all seem to be pretty awesome. PS I am not a fan of misono but that is just a personal opinion. A lot of people like them.

Thanks all for great advice!

I have taken into consideration everything said and have gone with the following:

1. Misono Molybdenum Kyuto 210, Petty 120, Santoku 180 (a special offer on all three)
2. Misono Molybdenum Paring 80
These items are for my wife :)

For myself I took:
1. Kagayaki Carbonext Gyuto 240mm
2. Kagayaki Carbonext Petty 125mm

I ditched the bread knife and will go for a cheap one from a regular store.

I also ordered a Whetstone #1000/#4000...

Can't wait to receive my gifts for X-mas!!

Will be sure to update and review...

I did go for extra sharpness on the carbonext!
I'm glad you all support my buys...

Thanks again!

Carbonext comes literally with no edge. Extra sharpness supplies you with a basic edge. Anyone with stones and basic skills could achieve a comparable edge, but to those that want ootb useability, it's essential.

Carbonext comes literally with no edge. Extra sharpness supplies you with a basic edge. Anyone with stones and basic skills could achieve a comparable edge, but to those that want ootb useability, it's essential.

I have to disagree with that. I bought a CarboNext from Koki a couple of months ago, and the edge was excellent OOTB. Quite usable without even stropping.

Rick

I have to disagree with that. I bought a CarboNext from Koki a couple of months ago, and the edge was excellent OOTB. Quite usable without even stropping.

+1.

It seems like there is some variation, but the commonly stated "truth" that the Carbonext requires a ton of work OOTB is, IMO, a myth, created probably because it is such outstanding value.

In any case, if anyone is concerned about it, they should just politely ask Koki that it comes sharp, his customer service is second to none.

+1 to Rick.
Recently acquired 150mm CarboNext petty came with pretty good edge OOTB. I've used it for a week or two by now and haven't touched stones.

Hello All...

I've been meaning to post my review but have been overwhelmed at work - no time to sit and focus really!!

So, I have received my lovely knives and can say the following:

1. Service with Koki at JCK was impeccable - we had a slight hiccup in receiving one of the two packages from my side of customs and Koki was of great help and I ended up getting all in perfect condition
2. The packaging was perfect and the knives just look absolutely great
3. I haven't used the Misono sets yet
4. I have been using the Carbronext Gyuto extensively and I'm enjoying it so much that I am not finding the purpose of the Carbonext Petty?? Don't know what to use it for really - the Gyuto is doing everything perfectly!
5. The Gyuto is so sharp and so perfect it has changed my cooking experience
6. The problem though with the Carbonext is that I'm already starting to see a few dots of rust and I am also seeing a big stain from the tip side of my knife - not sure how to deal with this yet -
I'm planning on contacting Koki to see what he proposes I do.. it is annoying me to see this because the knife has been perfect - is this what everyone has been saying happens to carbon/steel knives??
I wash my knife with soap and water after every use and dry it completely before storing it back into its box... I'm treating the knife like a baby!

Hope this helps...

Are the dots orange/red or black? As for the stain, don't worry about that. It's natural for a carbon or semistainless knife to discolor

As above, the Carbonext tool steel will discolour with use. If you dry the knife before storing it it will not rust.

The rust is orange/red..

I was told by Koki to use a metal polisher and this should take care of both issues will try that today!

Back