Looking for a whetstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farrant

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking to invest in my first stone, after using only a steel to maintain my knives for the past 2 years. Looking to spend no more than £50 (I'm UK based). Ideally would like a combination cos I'm a cheapskate and would rather buy one than two ;)

Thanks.

Hi all. Looking to invest in my first stone, after using only a steel to maintain my knives for the past 2 years. Looking to spend no more than £50 (I'm UK based). Ideally would like a combination cos I'm a cheapskate and would rather buy one than two ;)

Thanks.

King combo 1k-6k would do it for ya

Thanks.

While the King 1k/6k is a good stone, if you can't find one locally, you might be better served by the JCK 1k/4k. Quick, inexpensive shipping from Japan.

I'd like to throw out there that the 1K side of a king melts like butter, and you will most definitely use up the 1k side 5x's faster than the 6k...

Maybe check out the Naniwa SS series. You can get a 2cm 1k for $35 and a 1cm 5k on a base for $35....

Since you are in the UK, edenwebshops own brand stones are good value for money. Think a 2k/5k combo is 25 quid.

What knives are they? If they're typical stainless a decent 1k stone and some micromesh (in whatever grit you fancy) stuck to a board as a strop will get you decent edges.
Something like a bester or chosera available cheaply to the uk from Eden webshops, dictum, or dieter schmidt

Sorry a little off topic. Does any one know what the round chosera stones at edenwebshop are for. They have me very intrigued.

Tip: In case you go for a combo stone, check on whether you can soak the whole stone or if you need to soak only the 1k side. Some combo stones only need the lower grit to be soaked. Soaking a whole stone may cause the higher grit to fall apart if it's not meant to be soaked.

Sorry a little off topic. Does any one know what the round chosera stones at edenwebshop are for. They have me very intrigued.

I think tools. Probably useful for sickles and anything with a curved blade.

They are very big. I like that, but I've never seen one in person.

Back on topic, OP: check out the cerax 1000 / Suehiro Rika 5000 combo from tools from japan. Certainly under budget, and that fine stone is a good one.

@Chuck
By rotating the stone you can use the stone evenly more easily then square edge stones

from the website itself

Naniwa large round sharpening stone grit 320. Suitable for long knives because of the stone’s round shape and large surface.

I know when I am sharpening 270-300's I turn the stone for the back part so I am not creating gaps in the edge. I think this would be very nice to have.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up ordering a JCK 1000/4000 for £5 under budget. I may end up adding a rougher grit and a smoother one at some point.

Their website says directly that they are good for sharpening very long knives. ;)

Back