Dojo knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronsgibson

Reaction score
Hey all. Well I might be looking into getting one of the Dojo nakiri's for use at my work since I normally do a good bit of vegetable prep and the fact that I like nikiri's (First Japanese blade ever) and I was wondering how well they were. From what I've read, the f&f aren't the best and at 55$ I wasn't expecting the world. But the steel is blue and I've yet to own a knife that is made from it and has stainless cladding so care goes down a little (I own carbon so I know how to care for it) So what do the rest of you guys who own one or know someone think about them? I would also like to know of any others you might consider. Thanks again.

Tojiro White Steel Nakiri would get you what sounds like your first white steel knife. You can get a DP version in VG-10 if you are needing stainless.

I have to ask what your budget is. Nakiris are usually pretty cheap compared to other offerings from the same maker. You could get a Murray Carter for $200. And Harner's Nakiris are pretty crazy popular too, though a bit spendy.

Well really first white steel is a usuba but I'm still learning the ropes on using it. As far as budget, I'm not looking on blowing the farm and would like to keep it on the low end of 90$ ish. Thanks again.

Don't know the pricing, but a Hiro G3 is probably pretty close. IMHO - I would try to get a 180mm - -195mm, but just because every time I've tried the traditional nakiri/santoku in the 165 range, they're just too small.

I'd also call around JWW, AFrames, EE and see if somebody has a Shige kuro Nakiri - it'll be outside of your budget, but if somebody has a Shige sitting on the shelf, it'll be that one.

Hey all. Well I might be looking into getting one of the Dojo nakiri's for use at my work since I normally do a good bit of vegetable prep and the fact that I like nikiri's (First Japanese blade ever) and I was wondering how well they were. From what I've read, the f&f aren't the best and at 55$ I wasn't expecting the world. But the steel is blue and I've yet to own a knife that is made from it and has stainless cladding so care goes down a little (I own carbon so I know how to care for it) So what do the rest of you guys who own one or know someone think about them? I would also like to know of any others you might consider. Thanks again.

a friend of mine has one, and i've sharpened it for him. it's really a pretty nice knife. it sharpens easily and gets very sharp (as one would expect for aogami super), has pretty good geomoetry, and feels good in the hand. i don't think the F&F is bad at all, at least on the sample i've had in hand.

I wouldn't worry about f and f on a bargain like dojos. You can always tweak it if you find it to be necessary.

That's what I've been thinking if I want to, but for the buy and the steel kind of hard to pass up. Odds are I'll pull the trigger on it next pay check.

i think the dojo's are nice knives....i have almost got one in the past a few times but i have no need for one....i say go for it....ryan

I agree. I almost bought one, but got the Carter instead. I'm glad I made the decision, but I'm sure I would have been very happy with a dojo, in a different way.
Look at it as a project knife, and it'll be an even cooler buy.

I love my dojos. I have a small gyuto and two paring knives. They sharpen REALLY easily and quickly, and maintain a wicked edge. They do patina (below the cladding and on the spine) nicely, a leather strop cleans it off in a few swipes....

For Aogami Super treated to 62hrc, even if it is a thin slice cladded in stainless, I dont think a better piece is out there for the money. My knives just fall through onions and apples, and they don't stain food (patina). For a line knife, I would think you might want to rehandle it after a few months as those little gaps are gonna get cruddy and accelerate the poor handle in failing. I want to rehandle all of mine.

Good luck with them.

JC

Back