Quantcast
HHH Knives 240mm AEB-L forum thread!! - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: HHH Knives 240mm AEB-L forum thread!!

Jeff. I have found that I get great results from this Suehiro Rika 5000x

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst.../suerika5k.htm

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
    I assume everyone here when they get a new knife does what I did tonight. That is, start chopping veg, wafer thin slicing, julienne, fine dice and anything else you feel like. Then like me I assume everyone realises that it's been 2 hours, you were supposed to be making dinner and you've chopped enough veg for 4 people when you only have to cook for yourself tonight. That's normal right?
    I would do this way to many times. So now I go to the store every day b4 dinner, and only get what I need for the night. Gl with eating all that.
    Chewie's the man.

Thanks Randy but it looks like they only ship to U.S.
    Life's too short for bad food and bad wine.

Sorry about that Jeff. Maybe someone else will chime it. If I were you I would GOOGLE it!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

French Onion Soup, soon to be.

Used mine again tonight to prep supper and as jvanis said "Every time I use this knife, I fall just a little deeper in love with it."
    Thanks Randy for a great knife at a superb price!

"Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

AWESOME!!! Glad you guys are diggin on the 240's!! All this Onion soup talk in making me hungry!

love the idea of using 2 types of onions, going to give that a shot next time. Love the 3 buck Chuck as well... whatever gets it done!
    Have a knife day!

Quote Originally Posted by jvanis View Post
    love the idea of using 2 types of onions, going to give that a shot next time. Love the 3 buck Chuck as well... whatever gets it done!
    I actually used shallots, red onion, white onion, and sweet onion. Here it's 2-1/2 buck Chuck.

My somewhat new gyuto #75 from Randy. When I received my gyuto I did the mental checklist thing. 1. Fit and finish was good and still is. 2. Good geometry on blade, 3. A tad light in the hand not a major problem, 4. Handle very slick, wet hand before using works like a charm. 5. Blade a little too flexible but not a deal breaker. 6. Checked the edge…Not bad actually impressive not overly toothy. This steel, AEB-L I have never heard of it before. I checked out the composition of the metal and I have to tell you I wasn’t overly impressed. I thought I was gonna act like a crappy 440B. I am forever looking for the Holy Grail.
    But to the kitchen I went and started doing precision cuts. After wringing the knife out for two days the edge seemed a bit off to me. I thought this was normal and was to be expected. This is in no a negative reflection on Randy. Like most chefs we have our own idea of what edge works best for us in our hand. For me a slight chisel edge works best (I find that with a 50-50 it tends to mash the product after the initial razor edge). A few strokes on a 1200 eze lap diamond, a few more on hard Arkansas and a few on a surgical black. On to Mizuyama 5000 grit and we are up and running. OK you got my attention. I’m a believer. This steel rocks. My biggest problem will be getting it back from my son when he comes home from college (He graduated CIA and is finishing up hospitality at Drexel in PA.) Keep up the great work Randy!

+ Reply to Thread