Quantcast
First D-shape Handle and Mount - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First D-shape Handle and Mount

I used a 1.25" x 1.25" x 5.25" piece of wood I purchased from a friend. I shaped and rounded 3 corners using a Sawrasp leaving 1 slightly square. Next I put her to the Belt sander and finished with 320-2500 grit sand papers. I drilled the tang hole using a 1/8" bit on my drillpress. Shaped the tang using a Dremel grinder attachment (gave the choil and spine some love while I was at it) and stuck it in place using small wood wedges and 2 Ton Epoxy. Finished with Mineral Oil.
    Attachment 21037

Marko's handles are amazing! I think I will attempt tapering with the next D-handle I make. I am also looking into stainless or copper bolsters for the next one. I love that look with single wood piece handles and possibly a mosaic pin or two.
    But for the first attempt I wanted to keep it simple.

Very impressive.

Great job. Keep up the good work.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

That's a beautiful piece of wood (great grain pattern), and you did a nice job shaping it. I think the final test is whether it feels right to the user--in this case, you. I don't have enough experience with d-handles to be able to look at it and give feedback, but I admire your work.

I am speechless... I think, some people here would be happy if they could do such a handle after having done 20... but this is a first... amazing! and the wood is absolutely stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    I am speechless... I think, some people here would be happy if they could do such a handle after having done 20... but this is a first... amazing! and the wood is absolutely stunning!
    so true

Thank you very much for the kind words