First D-shape Handle and Mount

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunchy

Reaction score
My first go at this. Usually handle westerns but scored a sweet vintage Goodell 8" Chef's knife off Ebay that needed some love.
One piece Cocobolo. Would love some criticism from you experts.
Before:
2w20apv.jpg

After:
w80yll.jpg

ionb5u.jpg

2dlu3qq.jpg

2csb6u1.jpg

qzqe4m.jpg

That is pretty awesome. I am still a little scared of trying my first d handle. Also that is some awesome wood.

It's got more of a diamond shape to it then most D-handle I've come across but man does it feel great in my hand. I could prep for hours with this thing and never want to put it down. Thanks for the kind words! It was a lot of fun, I think I will be doing more Wa handles in the new year!

not many handle makers do the d shape. but its my personal favorite and i know a few others that really love it here. keep at it! that looks like an awesome first attempt! beautiful cocobolo.

Nuh-unh!! That's your first try?! That looks fantastic! Great work indeed, man. From where I'm sitting it looks darn near perfect. Would love to hear more about how you did it.... maybe?

Did you use a disc sander to make the D-Handle? If not, what tools did you utilize? Lastly, the profile on that knife is dreamy, oh and nice handle :) !

That looks great!!! You sure used the cocobolo well to show of it's grain and color variation. What a great way to bring back a whole new life to a knife!

-daniel

I used a 1.25" x 1.25" x 5.25" piece of wood I purchased from a friend. I shaped and rounded 3 corners using a Sawrasp leaving 1 slightly square. Next I put her to the Belt sander and finished with 320-2500 grit sand papers. I drilled the tang hole using a 1/8" bit on my drillpress. Shaped the tang using a Dremel grinder attachment (gave the choil and spine some love while I was at it) and stuck it in place using small wood wedges and 2 Ton Epoxy. Finished with Mineral Oil.
View attachment 21037

Marko's handles are amazing! I think I will attempt tapering with the next D-handle I make. I am also looking into stainless or copper bolsters for the next one. I love that look with single wood piece handles and possibly a mosaic pin or two.
But for the first attempt I wanted to keep it simple.

That's a beautiful piece of wood (great grain pattern), and you did a nice job shaping it. I think the final test is whether it feels right to the user--in this case, you. I don't have enough experience with d-handles to be able to look at it and give feedback, but I admire your work.

:bigeek: I am speechless... I think, some people here would be happy if they could do such a handle after having done 20... but this is a first... amazing! and the wood is absolutely stunning! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back