Hola

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TamanegiKin

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first venture into the j-knife e-community.
I've been working in catering and in restaurants on and off for a few years. Attended a couple semesters of culinary school back in 01 and stopped cooking up until a couple years ago. I'm back and as of a year ago bought my first j-knife and caught the bug. I hope to expand my knowledge of knives and knife skills here on the forums. I've already picked up a ton of great tips as a lurker of the site lol. Also I'm probably one of few who work in a pro kitchen with monocular vision. I suffered a detached retina a year ago and lost all functional vision in that eye. After a little adaptation of sorts I was back at work using my knives again. I'm grateful for a place like this to expand my knowledge. Cheers!

Welcome!

That's a cool thing to overcome, cutting with vision in one eye!

I used to work with this mexican guy who learned to prep at a Chinese Buffet, and his eyes twitched left and right non-stop, and his vision was offset, so he didn't ever look 'directly' at you, and his head shook diagonally, also non-stop. The guy would talk to you and hammer away at carrots with a dull cleaver and I was dumbfounded. He didn't cut himself, unless he was drunk! Amazing what people can do by feel and muscle memory alone.

Hey, I just noticed you live in the big D! Where do you work, I'd love to come eat there sometime(assuming it's not too fancypants for my budget)!

Hey, I just noticed you live in the big D! Where do you work, I'd love to come eat there sometime(assuming it's not too fancypants for my budget)!

Yea, I just moved here from Los Angeles in June. I'm working out in the Knox-henderson area.
I'll shoot ya a pm with more info.

Watch your fingers! Good to have you!

Muscle memory perhaps but interestingly enough I'm probably the person who cuts themself the least at my job lol. Thanks for welcoming me aboard y'all, It's good to be here.

Back