Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misono child's knife rehandle

Misono child's knife rehandle

Some years ago I bought this knife for the kids to use while helping out in the kitchen.

A nice knife but the handle is horrible and I thought that the kids should adjust to wa-handles.
    Since I have no shop and just hand tools I decided to buy a pre made wa-handle with d-profile. Will receive it next next week so then I'll see if it will work with the knife.

The tang will require some work, i.e. grinding off a fair amount of metal. Any suggestions on how to do this? Hack-saw, file or maybe an Atoma diamond plate (140)?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    On Twitter as @vilsjin

Yap, hack-saw and files are your friends. Atoma would be pretty much useless for this task.

I suspected so. (Bought the Atoma along with the handle for restoring an old hand forged hatchet). Thanks for the input!
    On Twitter as @vilsjin

Work in progress:

Edit: Not sure why the pics are rotated like that. Showed up correctly on the computer. Sorry about that.
    On Twitter as @vilsjin

Martell re-handled my Misano kids knife several years ago. I fully support this project.

k.
    Danny 'Zwiefel' Owen - 1971-2016 Moderator and Knife Knut for Eternity. RIP

Nice! Any pics of the finished knife?

I sandwiched the blade between to pieces of wood so that I could use my scroll saw and speed the project up:

On Twitter as @vilsjin

Vils, I think this is the permalink to the post in Dave's thread.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post65081

With that said, here is a picture of my kids knives. At least one of the knives was gifted away.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How sharp do you all keep the kids knives? We all know a sharp knife is safer than a dull one, but sharp ones are definitely less forgiving when meeting a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by strumke View Post
    How sharp do you all keep the kids knives? We all know a sharp knife is safer than a dull one, but sharp ones are definitely less forgiving when meeting a finger.
    They are sharp so care is required. Sharp heels are the killer IMO though. The Konosuke in my pic (the little nakiri-like knife) was the sharpest of all with the pointiest heel. I wouldn't use it for a kids knife, but I do use it as a cheese knife instead.

k.

For those that have these knives, how old were your kids when you let them use one? Our son is one month short of 3 years, and tries to help during prep/ cooking. He has a butter knife now that he uses to cut, but it is so dull it won't do much, which gets him frustrated. I need to give him something that works better soon, but not something that will mean an emergency room trip and daggers shooting at me from mommy's eyes.