Quantcast
NYTimes article on knives
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYTimes article on knives

NYTimes article on knives

I saw this when I was reading the newspaper today...thought it might interest some of you

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/di...tml?ref=dining

Good article, thanks for the link!

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Good article, thanks for posting it

Yep, good article. I also find it interesting that Joel from Cut Brooklyn is going to produce knives for Williams-Sonoma.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

It started out good, but they had to finish with the "stamped" knife nonsense. That whole paragraph is schizophrenic.

I just checked Joel's website out. His knives look very Haslinger-esque.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I find this most interesting:

"But there are a growing number of new artisans in the field, like Joel Bukiewicz, who opened his workshop and store, Cut Brooklyn, last year. (In the fall, Mr. Bukiewicz will start making a stainless steel chef’s knife for Williams-Sonoma, which will sell for $599.95.)"
    Jason

You heard it here first fellas, the nakiri is going to be the next "big thing" and it is very versatile. They must have meant least versatile.

And they credit Dave's girl RR with spreading the popularity of the santoku.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

That sounds about right for the Santoku. Before I found the other forum I remember hearing all over the place that the Santoku was the knife to have! I'm glad I kept searching for why... I still don't own a santoku. Thankfully the buzz these days is about makers like Kramer. Now if we can just get articles like that on Hoss, Bill, Pierre, Michael, and all the other talented smiths hanging around these parts.

On second thought, I'd rather be able to afford an original from one of these fellas than sone mass produced copy. Don't forget us when you get super famous guys!
    - Sean

What has RR got to do with fine knives? I thought she endorses Furi??

One of my sisters gave me a Wustof santuko a few years back. It sits in the drawer and only gets used occasionally by my wife or my sister when she visits. It is annoying to use. Lacks knuckle clearance.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig