Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYTimes article on knives

Hey, what's wrong with a nakiri? I turn to mine (3rd owner Tojiro Shirogami) more often than not. Cheap? Yep. Productive and fun to use? Absolutely, at least in my home kitchen.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I agree it is fun to use, I would not exactly call it versatile though. At least compared to a gyuto, suji, santoku, cleaver or longish petty.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Nice to read the United States is the number one importer of Japanese knives, in volume and sales first time in 2010

Id say the Chukabocho is the most versatile knife, one billon chinamen can't be wrong. Cleaver is my #1 for line work, has always been. Chinese cleaver is the 1st knife I bought. Was in 4th grade and had to have one Because that's what Martin Yan used and I wanted to debone a chicken in under a minute. Dad took me to a Restaurant supply store and I spent my own birthday money on it, don't remember how much it was but know that $10 was the usual birthday money in my house back then, Still have the cleaver.
    I'd credit Top Chef for spreading the popularity of high end kitchen knives, ray-ray (Daves pet name for the batter licker) uses crap knives, so do most on FN, Bobby boy teaches bad knife skills and habits, even Gordon looks like a fool to me the way he steels a knife, must do mor damage then good. Side note I watched GR's Christmas show and thought it was crazy and funny as hell that he had his young daughter stand on a pot over a hot stove and stir something, and creepy that he mouth kisses her... must be a English thing. Speaking of English I find it funny as hell also that Todd appears to be drunk in every show he does..watched him wonder around the stage on one show and do a funny monkey dance. Sorry for the long OT side track but thought some may find it funny.

Morimoto also makes these really interesting sounds...as proof, listen to him at around :50

Anyways, I'm quite surprised that they haven't mentioned the other popular custom knife makers (Devin, Rader, Haslinger etc). Just Kramer and the guy from Brooklyn; this probably means that one of our preferred custom makers needs to come to NY

I AM in NY. I just have to make a name for myself.
    The marketing Cut Brooklyn has done is phenomenal. I got to give Joel credit for it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com