Quantcast
How long in advance to salt steak?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long in advance to salt steak?

How long in advance to salt steak?

How long in advance do you guys do it for about 1.5"ers? I've only done a few hours in the past but I'm thinking overnight would be good. Going to do a non-traditional Christmas dinner this year of boneless (probably) NY strips on the kettle grill.

If you going to go overnight maybe place it up on a rack to prevent wet curing the meat. There will be a fair amount of moisture loss (which is a good thing for flavour).

Been curious about how long myself, let us know how you go.

I usually put the steaks on a rack and cover with plastic wrap, but not so the wrap touches the meat. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.

I usually salt steaks that thickness at least several hours in advance. I've done it on a plate. It won't wet cure unless your meat is super wet. The salt will initially draw out some moisture, but it will be reabsorbed after a little time.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Maybe keep the wrap off, the dryer the meat the better then browning.

I tend to follow Alton Brown's advice and not salt until last second, but oil and crust the steak in pepper at least 24 hours prior, though 48 usually has better results, and let it air dry in the fridge. The outside usually gets a nice dark red dry texture that is super easy to brown, and I don't have to worry about any extra moisture loss.

I do it at least overnight, after a few hours I cover the meat with a tea towel.Yum.

Fine Cooking has this filet mignon recipe that calls for salting 2 days in advance, but wrapping in butcher paper. Wouldn't that wet cure the thing?

The website seriouseats did a great article on this (sorry no time to find the link right now). They said salt just before or at least 40 min before. It's a great read!

I usually salt overnight. I use that same serious eats article. Never have tried pepper and oil, but the overnight salt is great.

+ Reply to Thread