Quantcast
Need a good French toast recipe - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a good French toast recipe

I like to use yolks, cream, orange zest, Grand Marnier and vanilla bean. Also, I cook in clarified butter. Mmmm, very healthy!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I use whole eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and some maple syrup. On the bread, I avoid anything crumbly. I always pre-toast the bread before dipping. How much I let it soak, depends on personal preference and the constitution of the bread. At the Asian market, they have this bread that has a sweet taro paste folded into it. The kids LOVE... LOVE... it when I use that stuff. Actually, everyone loves it, come to think of it. Always use butter... mmm....

This thread inspired me to have a monte Christo for late night dinner last night.

Ok, this may be a really stupid question, but could I also cook the bread and custard sous vide a few days in advance, and then just get them golden brown and warmed through in a pan when I need them?

Stefan

I see no reason why not, though it would be hard not to squish the bread too much and squeeze out the custard.

Thanks all. Anyone bake it or just griddle them? I am thinking of letting the brioche soak overnight and throw I the oven to bake while the family opens gifts. With a 3 year old, we better get right to unwrapping

I used to use leftover sourdough, and blend it with an Anglaise mix ( + cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger), pass through a Tamis, pour it into a loaf tin, Vac the tin and cook it sous vide for a couple of hours @82 degrees from memory but I'd have to check.

We'd cut it into tick slices, then caramelise it in foaming butter, it didnt have the texture of classic French toast, but it was pretty tasty.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Pachowder View Post
    Thanks all. Anyone bake it or just griddle them? I am thinking of letting the brioche soak overnight and throw I the oven to bake while the family opens gifts. With a 3 year old, we better get right to unwrapping
    My best friend and his mom both have bed and breakfasts. Their most requested breakfast is their baked french toast ( written up in Bon Appetite tears ago ). They set it up the night before and bake it in am just like you're thinking.

brioche
    eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon+nutmeg, pinch of salt, whisk it well, let it sit overnight
    whisk again before dipping
    cook it in cast iron with butter and bacon grease

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    My best friend and his mom both have bed and breakfasts. Their most requested breakfast is their baked french toast ( written up in Bon Appetite tears ago ). They set it up the night before and bake it in am just like you're thinking.
    Good to hear thanks!

Mrmnms...bacon and butter grease...yum!

+ Reply to Thread