Hello from Amsterdam

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double-p

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've joined the forum since I just tried using my newly acquired wetstones for the first time and I was...less then thrilled. Didn't do much at all, let alone achieve any sort of shaving sharpness :)

A bit about myself: I love cooking (and eating the results), photography, travelling the world and driving cars, on the road and the occassional track.

I watched some videos on the sharpening, but I can't really see why it's not working. I tried it on my cheapest knife first of course, don't want to touch the others untill I get it semi-right at least. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

My equipment:
Global meat knife - Eden damast santoku knife - Henckels Fine-edge chef knife
Eden 240/800/2000/5000 wetstones - Global ceramic sharpening steel

Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of good videos about sharpening, but I personally prefer Jon's http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBF55079F53216AB
I would reserve 240 for repairs (at least unless you feel comfortable with freehand sharpening) and start with 800.
Use magic marker trick and don't rush it. Pay attention to keeping consistent sharpening angle and keep sharpening unless you can fell a burr. When you raise a burr from both sides, you'd need to deburr it and move to next stone.

I doubt you can achieve razor like edge with just stones. I'm able to get pretty good edge after 6k stone, but it can be improved much more with stropping or higher grit stones.

Again don't rush it and you'll catch the point.

P.S. Love your city. IAMSTERDAM :)

thanks! I don't mind living here either, it's a nice city.

I will check out all those videos, including the magic marker trick!

might sound a bit beginner (which I am) but is there any decent explanation on what a burr is and how I can check for them?

Also, I've seen advice from 12 to 25 degrees on sharpening. What's a good angle to start with (on a normal chef knife)

Angle can be different for every knife. Japanese steel usually has hardness 60+ while most good western knives are somewhere around 56-58 HRC. Therefore Japanese knives can be sharpened at more acute angle. 15 and less degrees is normal for most JP knives.
Western knives being much softer can't hold edge with such angles so usually they are sharpened at 20-25 degrees.

I believe if you specify which knife you are sharpening, you'll get detailed recommendations regarding best angles and stones progression.

Jon explains burr pretty well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rWIJvyim2I
Magick marker trick is the simplest and the most effective way for beginners to find proper angle and make sure they are hitting edge with their stones.

Well wow! I feel very welcome. Nice and active forum!
I will update you all on my edges over the weeks to come and will give up on trying to get them all sharp before xmas :)

Hey Double-p. Welkom, groetjes uit Leiden!

Thanks again, all!

I've used the magic marker trick and my first knife actually got sharper :)
I've got a long way to go, but I'll get there!

welkom;how are the stones you are using,I have no idea about them

welkom;how are the stones you are using,I have no idea about them
I have both.

They don't feel good at all when working on them. I upgraded to shapton pro's, a beston 500 and an atoma plate just recently.
The low grit combo stone dishes like theres no tomorrow. They're also quite small and slow cutting with close to no feedback.

Back