Little technical help please sharpening HONESUKI

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Just bought a misono HONESUKI which is a 90/10 edge. I am righty. When sharpening the blade the heel of the knife responds normally and develops burr but the tip does not almost ass if the blade from the bevel to edge is slightly rounded. Tried the sharpie trick and the tip portion of the edge is not hit with a single angle, as if it is round.

So...should I

A. Continuer to sharpen on 1000/6000 and use regularly and it'll work it's way flat

B. use a diamond flattening plate from Jon (lowest grit I got) to reset the edge.

C. Send to Jon or Dave.

Can someone give me steps for posting pic from dropbox

Can someone give me steps for posting pic from dropbox

AFAIK, you can't reference a pic in dropbox and have it display in your post; the best you can do is post an address that requires the person viewing the post to display the image in another window/tab.

My suggestion is to get a Photobucket or Picasa account, upload the pics to it, and then use the image function of the forum software to reference it in your post. The image should display without any problem.

Rick

I think you kind of can post an image out of dropbox url. Following is obtained from view original image url and pasted inside the usual [ img ] ... [ / img] pair.

I think you kind of can post an image out of dropbox url. Following is obtained from view original image ...

Thanks for making me hunt for the correct link to use. It was the url that is behind the "Download" link, not the url of the image. The key was the address "dl . dropbox user content . com". You also have to uncheck the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

ParingknivesTake2027800x533_2.jpg

holy smoke I can't believe that I actually posted an image. THANKS pensacola.

OK so you can see where I sharpened which sharpie mark on blade at angle determined by light finger pressure behind edge. Sharpie mark at tip does not hit when the rest of the blade is touching....or I suck....can someone please enlighten me. thanks

in this case, its pretty simple... when you are sharpening that area of the tip you have 2 options:
-spend more time until it does develop a burr
-adjust the angle at that area to follow what is currently there... this means a slight rotation towards the edge in that area based on what i am seeing here.

is it hard to raise a burr with this steel? Seems harder than most.

Just sharpen normally over time and you'll grind that out.

I would probably just rotate slightly as Jon suggests. I'd also consciously avoid using the tip unless it's necessary. That way you're utilizing your whole edge and not just wearing your tip out. Misonos are on the easy side of the grinding spectrum.

Back