Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas present ID ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    But who makes them for Kiya? I've wondered for a while about who Misono might make knives for.
    ... As we all know, vendors often like to keep their sources secret.

Yes, I think they look like Misono. But it is a very generic look for western-handled knives in Japan. Nothing special, really, I think.

The brass rivets, their wide positioning -- as if the middle one was omitted, the bolster with the welding area, all are characteristic of the Misono.

Two more: the bolster is slightly protruding at the welding point to spine and handle; the end rivet is lower.

So whether it is made by Misono or not, the marking "Sweden Steel" means it is the same steel as used in the Misono series?

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    So whether it is made by Misono or not, the marking "Sweden Steel" means it is the same steel as used in the Misono series?
    Just going by common sense, I don't think there's any reason to say this. There might be oodles of steal makers supplying from Sweden. I don't know the history behind it, but it seems that in some corners of Japan (the East it seems) 'Sweden Steel' is thought to be a selling point.

If you are concerned about the steel use, my impression is that 'Sweden Steel' used in Japanese knives is supposed to be quite pure, so perhaps think of Hitachi White #1 or #2.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Haven't you taken it to the stones yet? You should find out in a split second whether it's the same or not.

How about that mystery petty? I would guess meanwhile you will have sharpened it.