Christmas present ID ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdpx

Reaction score
Happy Christmas everyone...

Attached please find photographs of a very nice 150mm petty knife that I received yesterday.

All I know about this knife is that it was bought from NIYA in Tokyo, and that it is carbon steel. I have a box as well but haven't posted a picture of it. The box has green/brown/black stripes running lengthwise. I can take a pic if requested...

If anyone can help further identify it from the kanji I would be very grateful as it would be nice to know what kind of steel it is made from.

Apparently the man in the shop told Emily that of the knives she was pointing at, this one was the sharpest, but that it would rust. There was not much else in the way of information exchange, just a lot of pointing and bowing. I am very happy to have a carbon though.

I have never really used a petty before, and am kind of enjoying it.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom.

Robert x

SHousV6.jpg

V4YM7GR.jpg

LrO4Pmk.jpg

2nd pic looks like something along the lines of 'specially forged Swedish steel'. Number 6 of course ;) I'm not going to be much help with the 3rd pic without more research but the first of the 2 larger characters has to do with wood. Likely one character comprising the makers name. I'll look into it deeper later on if I have a chance.

2nd pic looks like something along the lines of 'specially forged Swedish steel'. Number 6 of course ;) I'm not going to be much help with the 3rd pic without more research but the first of the 2 larger characters has to do with wood. Likely one character comprising the makers name. I'll look into it deeper later on if I have a chance.

The "#6" I had understood! Though had thought it might refer to the knife type...

I wonder if that all means it is same kind of steel as my Misono dragon suji?

Thanks tripleq, looking forward to anything else you can come up with.

R

At first glance, I thought it was a Misono.

Taking that into consideration it could be a Misono. The first large character I believed was 'ki' or 'moku' having to do with tree/wood but it is very similar to 'mizu' - water. I'm not really sure if in this context it collaborates to make 'Misono'. The way the characters are engraved makes it pretty tough to be 100%.

2nd picture-"本鍛造=forged, スウェーデン鋼=Swedish steel". 3rd picture-"日本橋=Nihonbashi ( literally- Japan Bridge, is a business district of centre, Tokyo, Japan), 木屋=KIYA"
this is a Professional Series petty from KIYA of Nihonbashi branch. made with The forged carbon Sweden steel, handle is black reinforced wood. checkhttp://www.ameyokonet.jp/kiya/item_detail.php?f_item_id=3-060602-150-03-23-41
very nice knife, congratulation!

That line is quite good, I think. Yes, it will patina/rust easily - let it go, or just cave in and force your own patina. They get really sharp. Nice handles too.

But who makes them for Kiya? I've wondered for a while about who Misono might make knives for.

Yes, I think they look like Misono. But it is a very generic look for western-handled knives in Japan. Nothing special, really, I think.

The brass rivets, their wide positioning -- as if the middle one was omitted, the bolster with the welding area, all are characteristic of the Misono.

So whether it is made by Misono or not, the marking "Sweden Steel" means it is the same steel as used in the Misono series?

So whether it is made by Misono or not, the marking "Sweden Steel" means it is the same steel as used in the Misono series?

Just going by common sense, I don't think there's any reason to say this. There might be oodles of steal makers supplying from Sweden. I don't know the history behind it, but it seems that in some corners of Japan (the East it seems) 'Sweden Steel' is thought to be a selling point.

If you are concerned about the steel use, my impression is that 'Sweden Steel' used in Japanese knives is supposed to be quite pure, so perhaps think of Hitachi White #1 or #2.

Haven't you taken it to the stones yet? You should find out in a split second whether it's the same or not.

Back