What new stuff would you like to see this year?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
Some of my other knife maker friends think I'm a bit nuts, because I take on jobs that others refuse to do. But, I like doing new and cool stuff.
So I want to hear your thoughts. I am planning on doing a run of spoons as soon as I get caught up. Something I have wanted to do since starting those is personal fork and spoon sets, how do you feel about that idea?
There is also the possibility of doing a run of wooden utensils, spurtles and the like, if I can get some good material to play with.
I'm open to some new designs for spoons.
I'd like to hear some ideas for things to make that you have never seen in Damascus, and would like to see done.

I'll give you guys a teaser, one of the things I have been thinking about doing for awhile is adding another option to my steel choice list. That is stainless San Mai with a carbon core. Probably 416 over O-1. I have provided this mix to other makers, but I haven't used it for any knives myself. I like the look of a hamon, but partially hardened blades grate on my nerves. This is a way to get a similar look and still have a fully hardened blade. I am planning to make some material up and then make some knifes out of it. It will be priced somewhere in the middle between mono steel and my Damascus.

Let me know your ideas for the new year and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks,
Del

I think a modified kiritsuke design in stainless or San Mai might be kinda cool.

San mai sounds awesome.

I'd like to see another run of bottle openers. Maybe some dog tags. How about an oyster knife?

Guys at my job bend spoons into hooks to hang their tongs from their belt loop...maybe a Damascus belt hook?

A good boning knife. To date the best one I can find is a stainless Tojiro. Not a "filet" knife but a boning knife designed somewhat along traditional styles.

If a person's use involves bones, I'd go stainless but if not carbon would work.

+3 on the oyster knife, but pair it up with a clam knife as well.
My personal preferences are a long Boston pattern oyster knife and a wide blade on the clam knife, like a Dexter 20129. Stainless Damascus maybe...?

How about a Damascus bane to keep your Damascus spoons in during service

Some cool ideas,
I have thought about doing oyster knives more than once, but I was talked out of it. I don't remember the reasoning now, but I like the idea of doing them in ss Damascus. I think that would be the most practical.
Mark,
It's funny that you mention this, I have several times worked on a mokume mix of copper and iron. I got it to work once, but then failed several times. Maybe it's time to revisit my efforts there. If I add a steel core to the center, than may make a practical blade.
David asked me some time ago if it would be possible to make a teaspoon and tablespoon measuring set. I think it's time I gave that a try. You always come up with some cool ideas. A dough scraper this time? Should be pretty straightforward.
Salty,
I'll take a look at the boning knife you mentioned, and I'll see what I can do.

I'm certainly up for doing some more bottle openers as well.
Kep them coming guys.
Thanks,
Del

Damascus small offset spatula !!!! My all time fav tool during service. That would be BALLIN Del!!

Damascus Chinese cleaver!

I'm not in the market, but I was wondering if you had ever done one Del.
Another vote for:
Oyster
Boning

Maybe a breaking knife
Serrated/Bread
Scimitar
Tournee

Damascus fish tweezers. +1 for single bevels! Your handle on a yanagi would be unreal.

What about (semi) stainless damascus chopsticks?

While we're in the subject of kitchen utensils, a ss damascus spatula would definitely be interesting as it's used so often
Another one would be a palette knife in ss.

And for serving purposes, a set of steak knives and forks with matching scales would look amazing

Damascus fish flip and tongs? Or peeler but that would probably be hard

Damascus Back Scratcher
Damascus Toenail Clippers
Damascus Shoe Horn
:justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding::justkidding:

Seriously though, sort of,

some Del-mascus frames for my glasses would be insane.

+1 on the frames for glasses that would be awesome

Back