MAC'adocous!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
So this is to prove one can have a baller gyuto for under $100...

It is a Mac 215mm Japanese chef series gyuto.

I reshaped the choil;
reshaped the spine/ making it much pointier;
and reshaped the handle shape

Materials are simple walnut scales; 1/4" mosaic pins; red fiber liners

0.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg6.jpg

Pics are from cell phone, and it was cloudy today...sorry for lack of brightness and colors.....

And here is a stock before pic....

macHB-85.jpg

Nice! If you ever want to lend it out...umm. Nevermind. Haha. Looks good!

That looks killer! Is it a gift for someone?

A Mac Pro 8in was the first ('real') knife I ever bought. It's seen dang near daily use for 2 1/2 years and traveled across the country with me. I also learned to sharpen on it so it's more of a petty these days :laugh: and the profile is a lil' messed up, but even though it's my beater knife in the kit - it's just one of those knives that 'fits' in the hand.

I had thought MAC's had universally gone up to $100+ in the last year or so... Which had stopped me from recommending them as a 1st knife. But that one is online for only $70 - which is a steal and is tempting my wallet.

Yup, I paid $68. It's a steal! The chef series in general is still a great bargain, although this is the only Mac with the flatter Japanese gyuto profile, over the others with the higher tip and more pronounced belly.

And no, it's not a gift. I like to tinker around so I find new projects here and there. I like to take old vintage or new entry level stuff and jazz it up.

No disrespect intended. I was just thinking to myself that would make an unbelievable gift to some green cook as a first good knife.

That thing is BAD. Just looks like it's dying to crush a few cambro's of onions...

i like the work you did on the choil. where did you get the scales?

looks like a great knife for the price!

Thanks everyone.

Scales are walnut burl from Jantz. I saturated them in Danish Oil and finished with Renaissance Wax.

I get a lot of supplies from Jantz, but never any wood. I'll have to pick some up withy the next purchase.

It's nothing too special. It is usually very dry, which is important with non stabilized, and I still let it sit out for months. It's not bookmatched, infact I've got some scale sets that are completely different. For nicer wood I usually use Burl Source...

As a note to how dry the scales were. I applied danish oil every hour for over twelve applications before it became completely saturated.

Back