Quantcast
Should I trade in my knife? Shun Kaji or something more like the Moritaka? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Should I trade in my knife? Shun Kaji or something more like the Moritaka?

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Personally I think that a Yoshikane is better than a Takeda in every way that is important in a gyuto. Be aware that recently, Takeda has changed their grind/geometry (it would seem) - not for the better either.

    There are many different Konosukes, they are a reseller rather than a blacksmith's shop (I believe).
    I will dive a bit more into the Yoshikane research then. It seems like the 2 main go to sites don't carry the line though. Would getting some of these imports be much cheaper to get at if in Japan? I don't think I can wait now, but my friend's father goes to Japan 3-4 times a year. He just got back from a lengthy stay though.

  2. #22
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, FL, USA
    Posts
    3,661
    Quote Originally Posted by BradH View Post
    I will dive a bit more into the Yoshikane research then. It seems like the 2 main go to sites don't carry the line though. Would getting some of these imports be much cheaper to get at if in Japan? I don't think I can wait now, but my friend's father goes to Japan 3-4 times a year. He just got back from a lengthy stay though.
    Brad, The Epicurean Edge carries several lines of Yoshikane knives, and is a supporting vendor of KKF. I think it qualifies as a "main go to site", at least for me. Check it out for other knives, as well.

    Rick
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Brad, The Epicurean Edge carries several lines of Yoshikane knives, and is a supporting vendor of KKF. I think it qualifies as a "main go to site", at least for me. Check it out for other knives, as well.

    Rick
    Thanks, checking it out now!
    Edit: this is where my current lead on a yoshikane is actually!

  4. #24
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,037
    if you buy something from epicurean edge, dont forget to apply your 10%off for being a forum member. its easy to do, and is explained in The EE subforum

  5. #25
    Senior Member daveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Just outside Tampa
    Posts
    724
    Yoshikane has taken the kurouchi (sp?) finish to an art form with their SLD knives. I currently have an 210 SKD that gets picked up and used a lot, esp when considering its too short. You may have to reach a little deeper than you had planned but its only painful once.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Yoshikane has taken the kurouchi (sp?) finish to an art form with their SLD knives. I currently have an 210 SKD that gets picked up and used a lot, esp when considering its too short. You may have to reach a little deeper than you had planned but its only painful once.
    Oh I saw that line alright, I just cant really afford double my current intended investment... maybe up to 330$ range max.

    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    if you buy something from epicurean edge, dont forget to apply your 10%off for being a forum member. its easy to do, and is explained in The EE subforum
    Awesome tip, thanks!

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    711
    The SKD is not the most fashionable or esoteric (mainly because it's been "known" for a long time), but in terms of performance/price, it's right up there, imo.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    I am actually looking at the Yoshikane SKD 240mm and the Kamagoro 240mm.
    I am unfamiliar with the steel used in the kamagoro, but I have read that it may be made by the same company as yoshikane? It is a slightly cheaper blade with a more rustic kurouchi finish that I like.
    Edit: Read it was blue 2, but an angle of 30degrees seems pretty hefty, not sure if that is the right path

    I also have the idea to get whatever blade I buy rehandled with a professional sharpening in about a year using known services after reading this review: http://www.zknives.com/knives/kitche...orogy240.shtml

    Can anyone guide me on known differences between kamagoro and yoshikane?
    Edit: I guess the main difference really is just the stainless steel versus the more raw carbon.

    Also now looking over the Ikeda found here: CKTG /taik24dagy.html

  9. #29
    Senior Member daveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Just outside Tampa
    Posts
    724
    "Can anyone guide me on known differences between kamagoro and yoshikane?"

    If this question was posed on EE's subforum then they could address it. Forum rules preclude vendors from offering anything that might be perceived as subjective in this part.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    "Can anyone guide me on known differences between kamagoro and yoshikane?"

    If this question was posed on EE's subforum then they could address it. Forum rules preclude vendors from offering anything that might be perceived as subjective in this part.
    Good point, was more hoping for difference in feel or F&F from first hand experience. Or advice which was to lean.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts