Quantcast
Steak Temperature Test - Discussion of Physical Approach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steak Temperature Test - Discussion of Physical Approach

Steak Temperature Test - Discussion of Physical Approach

So... what are your thoughts?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I would opt for a temp gauge over this method. I've never worked anywhere that this was used. After cooking enough proteins, you learn the proper touch feel for each one. Keep in mind that not all cuts are the same. The center cut of a tenderloin will feel much differently than the head or tail.
    I also might add that all people's hands aren't the same too!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Been running grills for many years. After a while you just know, from appearance; no touch, no gauge. Haven't had an overcooked steak ever; really. Out of literally tens of thousands. A few under here and there....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Everyone has a different idea of temperatures. To me (and a lot of folks), that 'medium' is more med well, the med rare is more medium etc. One thing you'll learn after cooking hundreds of steaks is that you can't please everyone. What is under for someone could be over for another. I always cook on the more rare side anyways because it's easier/better to temp up someone's steak than to fire a whole new one.

And the hand thing is just a good guideline for someone who is new to temping steaks. All steaks feel different depending on the cut, size, and how long it's been rested. What side was on heat etc. The best way to get a feel for them is to cook a lot of them and feel your steaks continuously as they're cooking.

There are visual cues as well. Proteins that are medium and over will start to 'purge' - liquid/blood will start to be drawn to the surface

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I would opt for a temp gauge over this method. I've never worked anywhere that this was used. After cooking enough proteins, you learn the proper touch feel for each one. Keep in mind that not all cuts are the same. The center cut of a tenderloin will feel much differently than the head or tail.
    I also might add that all people's hands aren't the same too!
    I used a thermometer for years. I would press the protein with my index finger, make a judgment about doneness, then take a temp and see how I did. after a few hundred times I got it dialed in across a variety of products.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I've tried the press test and for me it's been hit or miss. I don't cook steaks often enough to trust it so I use a Thermapen. I have learned going in from the side works better than from the top down.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post

So... what are your thoughts?
    I used to use this basic method as a start for new guys. For well done, I would tap them on the forehead . Different cuts respond slightly differently .

Better then sticking a probe in a steak and letting all the goods out but as already stated not entirely reliable

practice practice practice. =D

i'm pretty decent with guesstimating steak doneness.

i'm with no chop, after a while you just know.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I just noticed there isn't a me on the chart. That med. Is definitely mw.
    Chewie's the man.