W Beatty Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tupperprint

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and was looking for some information. I picked up a W Beatty Cleaver today and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. From what i've found, this seems to be one of the earliest ones he made. on one side is stamped "W. BEATTY" and on the other is stamped "I.S.P." Does anyone know what I.S.P. stands for?

Chefniloc here on the forum is your man. His name is Colin. Anything you need to know ask him and welcome to the forum

Dave Martell has a good post on 10/29/13 re Beatty Cleavers. I remember the post because I was asked to re handle one last year. It was beat and rusty. The father died around 1843. His sons carried on for years. These pop up on the forums from time to time. They're on E bay often. The guy was pissed cause I put a nice bevel on the edge. Like it was original :(

If it's just W. Beatty and not Beatty and son or sons then it was made in PA USA some time in the early 1800's 1840's +/-
I.S.P. ? Don't know off the top of my head, could be a few different things a pick would help

Earlier beattys would be marked F. Beatty, Beatty forge county down (pre USA)

Click the pic icon top right (3rd one in from your right) looks like a tree in a frame, it's in between the icon that looks like a film strip and the globe with a "x"

Back