Quantcast
Unicorn Knife
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unicorn Knife

Unicorn Knife

Everybody has a knife that for whatever reason has escaped their grasp and knife hungry clutches, what is your personal Unicorn, what is the knife you lust after more than any other but for whatever reason escapes your hands??
    CB

I once got the handle of a stainless-handled chinese cleaver soapy and wet while washing it, and it escaped my hands.

As for a knife I'd like but haven't seen and probably will never get...a Marko 225 or shorter, probably. Seems like a dream knife for my purposes.

anything north of $500 is a unicorn knife for me

…and handle should have unicorn horn ferrule

I'd like a Yoshikane V2 suminigashi, but can't justify it, the skd kasumi is more than adequate for my needs.

Gengetsu 180mm stainless clad wa-petty... Not that aspirational I know, but completely elusive!

DT Feather Damascus San Mai Western Gyuto....... Of all the awesome knives I've owned I still dream of that!!!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Here's another thread with some fun responses-

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...hlight=unicorn

I think my response is now not only a Kramer, but a custom Catchside, a Mareko Maumasi, a Rader, Burke, and I'm curious as to the amount of difference from a full on custom Damascus Devin and his most recent run on ITK. I mean, none of these are Super practical for me but I'd sure as hell be a super giddy school boy with one of these in my bag!

Seriously, Just look at these.....!

But I will say that, in all honesty, what were once my unicorns (the more affordable ones) I now have- Del Ealy, Marko gyuto, DT ITK, Catchside Utility, and the Rodrigue Power Sword plus the Tuxedo from Randy Haas (the latter 2 I didn't even know were on my list until they landed on my front door!)

Those Catchsides are something else. Unless I win the lottery, I will likely never own a real Kramer. The last custom maker in this class for me is Bill Burke. I'm a ways off on the list. I have DT and Rader Damascus. Unicorn -like knives the are so dear to me they don't come out unless I'm alone in the kitchen.

I would have to echo your comments marc. Those are high up on my unicorn knives list as well.

+ Reply to Thread