Unicorn Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB1968

Reaction score
Everybody has a knife that for whatever reason has escaped their grasp and knife hungry clutches, what is your personal Unicorn, what is the knife you lust after more than any other but for whatever reason escapes your hands??
CB

I once got the handle of a stainless-handled chinese cleaver soapy and wet while washing it, and it escaped my hands.

As for a knife I'd like but haven't seen and probably will never get...a Marko 225 or shorter, probably. Seems like a dream knife for my purposes.

I'd like a Yoshikane V2 suminigashi, but can't justify it, the skd kasumi is more than adequate for my needs.

Gengetsu 180mm stainless clad wa-petty... Not that aspirational I know, but completely elusive!

Here's another thread with some fun responses-

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...at-s-your-quot-unicorn-quot?highlight=unicorn

I think my response is now not only a Kramer, but a custom Catchside, a Mareko Maumasi, a Rader, Burke, and I'm curious as to the amount of difference from a full on custom Damascus Devin and his most recent run on ITK. I mean, none of these are Super practical for me but I'd sure as hell be a super giddy school boy with one of these in my bag!

Seriously, Just look at these.....!

IMGP3620_zpseddba2eb.jpg
_MG_2436_zpse11468e4.jpg
20130606_201705_zps32d054a7.jpg

But I will say that, in all honesty, what were once my unicorns (the more affordable ones) I now have- Del Ealy, Marko gyuto, DT ITK, Catchside Utility, and the Rodrigue Power Sword plus the Tuxedo from Randy Haas (the latter 2 I didn't even know were on my list until they landed on my front door!)

Those Catchsides are something else. Unless I win the lottery, I will likely never own a real Kramer. The last custom maker in this class for me is Bill Burke. I'm a ways off on the list. I have DT and Rader Damascus. Unicorn -like knives the are so dear to me they don't come out unless I'm alone in the kitchen.

I would have to echo your comments marc. Those are high up on my unicorn knives list as well.

To qualify as a unicorn knife for me, the handle would have to be made out of Narwhal tusk.

I'm a wa fanboy, and usually I don't admit to lusting after something but...

A 240 DT sanmai carbon with western handle has occupied my daydreaming on more than one occasion.

My list from before is the exact same, but with a Rader 240mm gyuto, and a Catcheside damascus something-or-other added to it. I'd likely drop the Carter yanagi to make room, because I have my Carter suji. So, in no real order:

Rodrigue Damascus Suji
Rader 240 gyuto
Harner Folder
Kramer anything
Catcheside Damascus anything
DT Feather short gyuto

Anything north of $400 for me. Maybe one day I will have a Rader, Carter, DT, etc. Hopefully.

Shigefusa western handle kitaeji 270 gyuto
Shiraki-san honyaki gyuto
DT-Marko collaboration - 270 gyto in DT san-mai damascus mystery carbon w/ Marko profile and handle
Rader damascus anything guyto
Burke anything gyuto

The list will never end...

There is a carter floating around that one of the forum members has. it has a custom handle that makes the whole thing. It's come up for sale in the last couple of years. I admit to the universe I'll buy it if it comes around again.

currently- Pierre Power Sword. It's been around for awhile and marc4pt0 owns it right now. I would quit the game if I owned this blade

Rader honyaki 300mm suji...sigh:rolleyes2:

Be well,
Mikey

post-25828-13165643846321.jpg

I'd use it for sacrificial cheese slicing only, of course.

Custom integral knife from Burt Foster (not necessarily a kitchen knife though).

Something along these lines ...

I really like integral knives, but the only one I have is a ... Shun :dontknow:

Back