Help Choosing My First Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Kinogie

Reaction score
What's up guys?

This is my first post and I'm sorry I'm sure threads like these are done to death but I'm looking to absorb as much information as possible and hear as many of your personal opinions as possible on as many knives as possible. Possible.

[video=youtube;Wcz_kDCBTBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk[/video]

OK, so with that out of the way, I had searched the forums for similar threads and found some, but I just wanted to list some stuff about myself in relation to my relationship with knives.

Firstly, I am an at home only cook at this point. In the past I had several years of experience in the food service industry including deli, cold side, prep, line cooking, saute, corporate catering, etc. I am by no means an actual chef or school trained, but I have pretty good knife skills and overall food knowledge. I really just enjoy cooking and have developed a bug for knives the last few years, but my collection is still quite meager and pedestrian.

My sharpening abilities and stone collection go like this... One King combo stone, 1000/6000 grit that I just got a couple months ago and have used on 3 different knives a total of 5 times. I am fully willing to learn and improve through listening and watching others that know and through experience and will soon add a low grit stone and a stropping setup. I also own an Idahone ceramic honing steel, had that for years. Basically I have no sharpening abilities or stone collection haha.

I'm still apprehensive about sharpening although it felt relatively natural doing it and I think I got pretty good and consistent results all things considered such as being a complete noob. But I'll continue to practice on my cheaper knives before putting any expensive ones I may soon acquire to the stones. That is my only real current apprehension, worrying about messing it up if it were an expensive one.

So my current "collection" of knives goes like this:

Tojiro DP Gyuto 240(just sold it)
Shun Classic 6 Inch Chef Knife
Richmond Artifex Wa-Gyuto 240(one with the Fujiwara FKM steel)
Global GS38 Paring Knife
Chicago Cutlery Walnut Bread Knife

So let me segue into Nakiri's... I recently bought a good friend a White #1 Nakiri for Christmas and got a chance to use it and really loved the style of knife. I've already been looking to grab a carbon blade, but that made me decide to jump in with a Nakiri for now.

I'm looking to spend between say $90 to $200. I'd prefer to stay right in between that range, but if it wound up a knife was such great value and aesthetically pleasing at the bottom end, or so sweet at the top end of the range, I can dig.

I prefer Blue steel, but am not opposed to a White. I'd really like to dive right in with an Aogami Super, but it's certainly not a requirement.

A nice handle is a requirement. I'm not looking to get a knife I'm going to want to spend all sorts of money getting re-handled soon after buying it. I prefer a Wa style, but it's not a requirement. Something like a Bubinga wood, would be awesome, I prefer an in between darker, but again, not a flat out deal breaker.

I'd like a 160-165mm.

Prefer it's not a very tall knife. Around 50mm tall would be preferable.

Prefer a lighter knife, or more so prefer it's not a heavy knife.

Thinner blade preferred, something with good grinds that doesn't wedge much.

I was leaning heavily towards a Moritaka in the Aogami Super, but I'm finding myself deterred after google searches lead me back here with a lot of issues on their blades exhibiting holes after sharpening's. On a cheap knife I would chalk it up to an oh well first time, but spending $150+ and having a knife that's really defective with suspect customer service only a year or two down the road isn't so appealing.

So instead of listing the others I was looking at, I'd rather hear your suggestions and some in depth talk on them without influencing the thread one way or the other name dropping.

I am also not ruling out the Moritaka, but I definitely don't want this to turn into a full blown Moritaka thread.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for the long winded post that ultimately just asks the same thing that's probably asked 10 times a week on here, bear with me.

Welcome to KKF, Dave.

My suggestion is the Zakuri 165 mm nakiri from Japanese Knife Imports: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...akuri-165mm-aogami-super-kurouchi-nakiri.html

I own a Zakuri wa-sujihiki, and it is a good cutter. I'd expect the nakiri to be the same. It doesn't meet your "no ho" criterion, though it is aogami super.

Another one to consider is a 165 nakiri in aogami by Takeo Murata, sold by The Epicurean Edge: http://epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91730

I've got a sabaki that he made, and I'm impressed by it.

Rick

I'd wait for Maksim to come back from his trip, then ask him to rehandle an Itinomon nakiri. Actually I'm sure there are lots of decent midrange knives in this space, but that's the one I'd likely go for.

Welcome to KKF, Dave.

My suggestion is the Zakuri 165 mm nakiri from Japanese Knife Imports: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...akuri-165mm-aogami-super-kurouchi-nakiri.html

I own a Zakuri wa-sujihiki, and it is a good cutter. I'd expect the nakiri to be the same. It doesn't meet your "no ho" criterion, though it is aogami super.

Another one to consider is a 165 nakiri in aogami by Takeo Murata, sold by The Epicurean Edge: http://epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91730

I've got a sabaki that he made, and I'm impressed by it.

Rick
Thanks Tiger!

And yeah the Zakuri was one I had shifted some attention to after reading some of the negative stuff on the Moritaka's.

I had planned on ordering one by tonight but at this point I'm going to give it a few days or so, keep researching and checking this thread.

I'd wait for Maksim to come back from his trip, then ask him to rehandle an Itinomon nakiri. Actually I'm sure there are lots of decent midrange knives in this space, but that's the one I'd likely go for.

Dude haha, that knife alone is right around the top of my range and then you want me to send it to a top wood worker?

Sure that would be an amazing knife, but then we're getting into some serious cheese!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dude haha, that knife alone is right around the top of my range and then you want me to send it to a top wood worker?

Sure that would be an amazing knife, but then we're getting into some serious cheese!

Thanks for the suggestion though.
The price of the knife excluding European VAT is under $160, and a fresh handle would put you close to your limit, but Maksim mounted my Itinomon gyuto with a burned chestnut handle gratis. Worth considering anyway.

The price of the knife excluding European VAT is under $160, and a fresh handle would put you close to your limit, but Maksim mounted my Itinomon gyuto with a burned chestnut handle gratis. Worth considering anyway.

Well it's like $157 for the knife, but then $43 for shipping to Maksim. Then the price of the handle(what type of ballpark averages are we talking for that?) and then the price of shipping to me. So $200 + price of the re-handling + maybe $10ish for the additional shipping.

Well it's like $157 for the knife, but then $43 for shipping to Maksim. Then the price of the handle(what type of ballpark averages are we talking for that?) and then the price of shipping to me. So $200 + price of the re-handling + maybe $10ish for the additional shipping.

You misunderstand. Maksim is the seller of the Itinomonn knife, he will rehandle it before shipping it to you if you want. I believe he offers worldwide free shipping as well. The burnt chestnut handles he sells are very nice, as are his knives.

Yeah but again... then $191 for the knife and handle, plus $43 for shipping to the US, then whatever that guy Maksim charges to install it, plus shipping from him back to me.

To get free shipping from that site it's I think about $225 USD in merchandise purchase, so even then if I can just find a nicer handle or knife blade combo that comes to that, it's $225, plus whatever Maksim charges, plus shipping from him to me.

What does he charge just to re-handle anyway?

Even if it's super cheap, I'm getting above $250 for sure and $200 was the tip top of my range right now, shipping and everything included.

One day I'd love to get to the point where I have some really expensive knives in my collection but right not I can't go that high, plus I would start with a Gyuto on my really expensive endeavors.

You misunderstand. Maksim is the seller of the Itinomonn knife, he will rehandle it before shipping it to you if you want. I believe he offers worldwide free shipping as well. The burnt chestnut handles he sells are very nice, as are his knives.

Doh!

My bad Talim, I did not see this reply before mine to your post. :O :laugh:

Alright so maybe I can get close to my target price, although this is still the high end.

Can you guys just give me a little low down on the Itinomonn blades and why you recommend them?

1. Maksim is a noted sharpener, hence he understands geometry, and the knives he sells are made to his spec (e.g. Kato, Itinomonn, Yoshikane etc.), all have a reputation as excellent cutters.

2. I haven't seen a negative view of an Itinomonn, on the contrary several members have praised them very highly.

1. Maksim is a noted sharpener, hence he understands geometry, and the knives he sells are made to his spec (e.g. Kato, Itinomonn, Yoshikane etc.), all have a reputation as excellent cutters.

2. I haven't seen a negative view of an Itinomonn, on the contrary several members have praised them very highly.

I highly recommend a shigefusa
KU nikiri. Mine is an excellent performer and the steel is amazing

Think I might just wait for something interesting to pop up on the classifieds, hopefully something like a Shigefusa, Moritaka from someone on the up and up, a Konosuke, maybe a Zakuri with a custom handle, something like that.

The Zakuri AS already has a nice Octagon handle wt. Buff. horn collar.Yo can always darken the Ho wood if you like.:)

Noob question, how do I go about darkening the wood? Just constant oiling?

I like minwax golden pecan stain on Ho wood.It is good to give the handle a lite sand wt a 220 grit & clean well before appying stain.After stain dry's.I use a 50/50 mix pure tung oil & bullseye clear shellac.The shellac speeds up the drying of the Tung oil & leaves a nice finish.After a few coats(one coat per day)let it dry couple days & buff.

I like minwax golden pecan stain on Ho wood.It is good to give the handle a lite sand wt a 220 grit & clean well before appying stain.After stain dry's.I use a 50/50 mix pure tung oil & bullseye clear shellac.The shellac speeds up the drying of the Tung oil & leaves a nice finish.After a few coats(one coat per day)let it dry couple days & buff.
Sorry for the delayed response and thanks. Hmm... I never thought about just staining the handle. TBH though I have none of these at my disposal and then I'm getting into at least around an additional $40 for the stain, oil and shellac and likely more, plus a brush, sand paper, etc., although then I'd obviously have this stuff on hand for future use for whatever else.

So I've procrastinated some on this and have yet to buy a nakiri over a month after posting this thread, but have been reading forums and reviews here and there and gave it some more thought and I might just jump in with something a little more pricey over my original budget or right at the top of it.

What are the forums' thoughts on the following knives?

Shigefusa
Takeda Classic Bocho
Konosuke HD2
Moritaka Aogami Super(can't give this one up even with the QC issues lol)

I own a Takeda custom AS Nakiri. Its about 40mm longer and 9mm taller compared to the standard sized Nakiri.
My Nakiri is very thin, I'd say laser thin, and goes through any veg without wedging. Almost no stiction. It was razor sharp OOTB and only had a touch up with a 4k EP chosera.

Very pleased with this blade. You could ask Xoomg about the standard sized Takeda Nakiri he owns. Also Classic AS if I remember correctly.

Edit - here are some shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/afstoppen/sets/72157638413015806/

Thanks man. Yeah, those Takeda's are just sick looking and seem to have a great rep, especially the nakiri's. That thread by Dave Martell gets me a little spooked but I've been meaning to ask if it's a widespread problem or just an isolated incident or two that some are jumping the gun on?

I owned a KU finished Shig Nakiri for a little while. Nice knife, nice price for the KU. At 210 it was a little big for me. At the price point you're shopping you might put a no frills Carter on your wish list.

I own a Takeda custom AS Nakiri. Its about 40mm longer and 9mm taller compared to the standard sized Nakiri.
My Nakiri is very thin, I'd say laser thin, and goes through any veg without wedging. Almost no stiction. It was razor sharp OOTB and only had a touch up with a 4k EP chosera.

Very pleased with this blade. You could ask Xoomg about the standard sized Takeda Nakiri he owns. Also Classic AS if I remember correctly.

Edit - here are some shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/afstoppen/sets/72157638413015806/

whats the height on that?

I think my chance of owning a Shig at the moment is in a nakiri since they are priced so well or a Carter maybe?

Why are you only considering AS nakiris besides the Shigefusa?

Back