Thread: Anti-Rusting Agent

Anti-Rusting Agent

I have learned sharpening before grinding, so now while grind, I still make frequent trips to sharpening station. Rusting on some steels is an issue, particularly with a coarser grind.

Does anybody know of an anti-rusting agent that can be added to a water tank where I soak my stones and also rinse my knife during sharpening?

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Hi Marko. Super easy one. Add a little baking soda to the water. Regular Arm & Hammer stuff. Not sure how much, but a couple spoonfuls should do. I use it in my stone water and in my grinding buckets. It somehow changes the pH in the water making less acidic/basic or more magic - not sure. It works great.

-M

I tried baking soda and it works ok, TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) seems to work MUCH better at my shop

I get it in the paint cleaning section of home depot.

Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by StephanFowler View Post
    I tried baking soda and it works ok, TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) seems to work MUCH better at my shop

I get it in the paint cleaning section of home depot.

Stephan
    Thanks for the tip, Stephan. I don't know when I will go to Home Depot, so for now, I will use baking soda.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Stephan, does the TSP bother your skin? I don't like to wear rubber gloves when I grind or sharpen.
    -M

nope, never bothered me, other than to feel odd and filmy

TSP can literally burn through your skin, in high concentrations over even just a few minutes. It's also really bad for the environment. I would go with baking soda based on these two factors alone. However, Stefan knows better than I do, and if it works for him, maybe it's a good option if the baking soda doesn't work.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I put about two tablespoons in a 5 gallon bucket

not sure how high of a concentration that is.