Knife block for larger knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle_lee

Reaction score
My present knife block has a bunch of space for steak/paring knives. Those are all wasted space for me; I have other storage for my small knives. And my knive block has very few slots large enough for even a nakiri. And I need many slots for gyutos, nakiris, chukabocho, suji, usuba, etc.

Does anyone know of a knive block that has all larger-size slots, and no smaller ones?

thanks
Lee

There are foam knife blocks that form to the knife as you put it in so that you can put any knife you want in there. I have no idea what they are called. You could also get a magnet bar for your knives.

The Boardsmith made a 52 slot maple block for me 3 years ago. It's perfect for daily knife use. My wife has a place for her preferred knives and I have enough room for my collection of daily users. Talk to David Smith, he's a very good craftsman. He will design whatever size you want.

I've often thought a professional level knife block with lots of holes for gyutos and line knives and cleavers and only a few holes for paring knives would make a great kickstarter project. I'd sign up instantly...

The best one I have found (and trust me it is hardly ideal) is the 35 knife block from Sur La Table. Has a reasonable number of slots that fit most of my guytos but some need to be just a little bigger for those with a bigger belly like my Carter so I enlarged the hole (a PITA) with a saw!

Anybody got anything that's not custom? Anybody?

Im in the same boat. I looked online and in brick and mortar stores, and so far the only option seems to be custom. I might take a stab at making my own.

Knife Merchant has a few blocks worth checking out.

I have a shun block, it holds some larger knives, but many have spines that are too thick. That is why I got that custom one.

Newbie post - outside of making my own, I found the SLT and the Wusthof 22 slot knife blocks to be identical. I found local people who will make a nice block, but the cost is outstripping my budget.
Perhaps, the least expensive route is to by the SLT or Wusthof and wait until that block becomes impractical.

Maybe dave or somebody wants to start a kickstarter project to fund production of a "chef's knife block" = lots of big slots and screw the steak knife slots ;- ) I'd be the first to fund it!

I suspect somebody with connections to a woodworking factory to mass produce knife blocs can get us a nice one for around $100

gic,

that is a great idea. I wonder if a group knife block design project for this forum is in order?

OK, so I've had this block for a while now. I figure it's time to give some feedback. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Pros:
* holds a lot of knives
* holds larger knives than most knife blocks will accomodate
* even has a cleaver slot!
* slots go all the way through the block to give some airflow
* nice looking

Cons:
* cleaver slot will only hold a cleaver at most 93mm high
* handles are difficult to grab quickly (dense and not staggered)
* won't hold a lot of very large knives
* my deba is too fat for any of the slots

It's not full. The larger knives in the picture below are a 270mm CarboNext, a 210mm Hiro AS, 210mm CN, Taiwanese cleaver, gekko Nakiri.

Back