Quantcast
Goals for 2014 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goals for 2014

Thanks Talim.
    I will try diffusing my lights and get a white balance card.
    I'll also try the aperature at 8.
    In the past my flash makes some things look too yellow.
    I do use a tripod and will try the macro mode.
    I am sure the camera will do what I want, now I just have to figure out how to make the operator function correctly.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Should I get something like this?

or just this?
    Visit our web store

Either one would work but something like the ones on the bottom is what I would get.

Thank You Talim.
    I will order the bottom one and then later post what I am able to accomplish.
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    I did a quick and dirty light box but it seemed to wash out the figure in Koa and darker woods.
    Looks like a directional light source is going to work out best for the figured stuff.
    I am still doing a bit of experimenting with the camera, backgrounds and light sources.
    Things are looking a little better but nothing dramatic.
    The reason the light box washed out the figure is likely the same thing I've been mentioning: reflection. If you're in a typical light tent, the wood will be reflecting a white surface, which you might not want. Replacing the back wall or ceiling of the tent with black can help. Oblique/direct light sources can make a difference (consider the height especially), but light diffusion is not the most important thing, and softening may not always be ideal for wood grain or figure.

A white balance reference can be useful but it likely will not work perfectly in group photos where there's a lot of reflected colored light bouncing around from the wood, and the pictures will balance on the cold side.

I'm on my way to work so I can't set up anything proper, but a quick demo of what a different reflector does. I did not wet or oil the wood before the pic, and it's not in the highest polish so it's not a super-super busy piece of wood, but hopefully the example still makes sense.

Top one was taken with a white piece of paper in the background, and the bottom with a near-black piece of paper in the background. You can see the effect plays out obviously on the steel which is more shiny, but the wood is pretty matte so, although noticeable, the effect isn't quite as dramatic as it'd be when wet.

I was just using onboard flash on my camera, but a separate point light source at a lower angle can change the effect as well. Good luck.

Thank You for the info and examples XooMG.
    Am understanding correctly the knife is sitting on a flat surface like a table up against a wall.
    The 1st is like a white wall bouncing the light back and the 2nd like a black wall?
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Thank You for the info and examples XooMG.
    Am understanding correctly the knife is sitting on a flat surface like a table up against a wall.
    The 1st is like a white wall bouncing the light back and the 2nd like a black wall?
    Yep, though the "table" was a chair seat and the "wall" was a piece of paper against the chair back.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure what I was imagining was what you meant.
    Visit our web store