Quantcast
New Years Food and Knives
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Years Food and Knives

New Years Food and Knives

So what are you doing for New Years food-wise? Anything fun? We are cooking traditional Osechi Ryori for Kenzo's first New Years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osechi

Consequently, we will be using some gesshin hide knives, gesshin ginga, and gesshin heiji here at home over the holidays (maybe my gesshin kagekiyo if i have time to pick it up from the store and bring it home). What are you using?

Letting my Uncle do all the cooking this year.
    Happy New Years to you and Sarah and a very Happy First New Years to Kenzo!
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

My interest in Japanese Knives has led to more of an interest in Japanese food. I'll be attending Osechi Ryori with a local Japanese food group.

I would like to take an appropriate shrimp dish. Any suggestions welcome. A Ginga Gyuto and Gesshin Heiiji Petty will be among knives of choice.

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I'm doing a pretty kick ass 4 course menu with duck confit, house made ravioli, pork belly, short ribs...and a whole bunch of other stuff. I'll be using my Mario gyuto, yoshikane suji, maybe my zkramer just for fun

My wife and i, we'll spend New Year's Eve together with friends. We've invited 2 couples, one of them will bring either some sort of creamy carrot soup (w. coconut milk and ginger) or beetroot soup (with horseradish). I have a very fine leg of lamb from my parents in law which I will either roast in the oven or braise with wine and vegetables. I'll serve fresh vegetables and potatoe puree with the meat, and I hope i will end up making the hell of a dark sauce for the meat. And finally, we'll have the ultimate chocolate sin for dessert: moelleux au chocolat with blood orange and saffron sorbet...

I'll be using either a 240 Kitaeji Shig or my 240 DT ITK AEB-L for the vegetable preparation, a WMF Spitzenklasse boning knife, and a Misono Dragon for slicing the meat...

Have been considering instant noodles...maybe pizza. Can use my Ealy parer for packages.

We are doing a 7 course degustation including sea urchin, tuna, lobster some dry aged strip loin and some local peaches. 300mm Rader suji to carve up the strip, and Don Nguyen line knife.

That looks like quite the spread Jon! Delicious

Happy New Year
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    Have been considering instant noodles...maybe pizza. Can use my Ealy parer for packages.
    You could also use your Ealy parer to open a can of bean soup! Maybe you can upload a video on youT***?!

I'm doing a basic stir fry with soba noodles. All prep done with my new Christmas gift from my wonderful wife....Gesshin Uraku 240mm. And I love it,thanks Jon

traditional Chinese hot pot, I'll be using WillC's pass-around small Nakiri for all the works!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!