Quantcast
New Years Food and Knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Years Food and Knives

Doin' a bit a hodge-podge family meal all the main items sourced from one of my fave northern italian cookbooks - will include a lamb stew, oven-roast chicken, pan-roast chicken, pan-roast rabbit (a first attempt for me!), pepperonata and broccoli sauteed w sardines & garlic.

Started doing some veggie prep last night with a chuka. Will probably finish off today with a gyuto. Haven't decided which yet No single bevels comin' out for tonight's meal unfortunately.
    Len

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0836.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	21294

Prepared by my mother-in-law Noriko using only a beat to death Kiya stainless santoku...
    Approved by Taz, our kitchen manager!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I'm making dumplings in hot & sour soup for me and my partner this afternoon, and this evening we'll be having mushroom and capsicum pizza. Nothing fancy like what folks here are doing, but I'm no cook.

Takeda nakiri and Itinomon gyuto were used...my nakiri loves harder veggies but has some trouble with king oyster mushrooms...I suspect my sharpening is at fault there.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0836.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	21294

Prepared by my mother-in-law Noriko using only a beat to death Kiya stainless santoku...
    Approved by Taz, our kitchen manager!
    Nice Airedale- I miss my old boy... Great breed

He does look a lot like an Airedale...but he's Irish terrier through and through.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

And I did a sous vide short rib (burgundy glaze, yadda yadda) with a buttermilk potato and ginger-lime carrot purée. Kicked off with a 2004 taittinger compte de champagne, with a '09 seasmoke 'ten' to round it out.

Knives used:
    Gesshin 240mm hide blue #1 honyaki
    Masamoto 300mm KS gyuto
    Kochi 150mm honesuki
    Cut Brooklyn prospect 120 in Aeb-L

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    He does look a lot like an Airedale...but he's Irish terrier through and through.
    Ah- hard to tell on scale. He sure looks like and aire in that pic, but I like the Irish terriers too- a bit more scrappy. I currently have a brace of wires- wouldn't recommend getting a brother/sister combo when it comes to terriers, but love them still. Now, back to food. Did I mention the scotch that we finished out with?

I did pantry/fridge food tonight. I had a cauliflower and celery root borderline going bad, so I ran down to the store, got some ny strip on sale and made a cauliflower/celery root puree with steak. Then I opened several bottles of wine And by several I mean very several.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

We had friends over and they wanted to cook. She is a wonderful cook but like many, oblivious to the knife world. Not wanting to look like a obsessive knife nut, I left her to it,she assured me they would be carefully used. I saved the kato from the dishwasher twice, found my kitaeji shig petty bathing in lemon juice, and to top it off, she deemed the kato to be the perfect pork crackling slicer. Pretty much whole length of blade chipped. Cool. I've sharpened half out but a few spots I'll leave, don't want to lose a good half years use for the sake of a few chips! Anyway, lesson learnt. Do not use my knives, period.

Hiro petty and Home Depot brush vs. Alba White Truffles