Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burls... Australian sources?

Burls... Australian sources?

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone knows of any good burl suppliers in Australia. If not are there any that have decent postage prices?

I use Australian Timber turning, they have an ebay site, they are really reasonable and have some nice local burl. Make sure you check moisture content - some of their stuff is pretty green...
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Turning-Ti...=p4634.c0.m322
    I ordered about 10 sets of scales/blocks and they threw in a heap of extra blocks and useful chunks.

There is also Georges bits of timber on Ebay and he stabilises his own wood.He doesn't advertise many blocks but you can email him and he will mail you back with other options.
    Tasmania gold ans silver is another i have bought from - only small quantities but the more rare Tassie woods.

Thanks guys great info as always.... Looking forward to a lot of re-handling

Nice one! I'm coming over to use your workshop!

Workshop... I wish. One day! For now my cluttered man area / storage area with borrowed tools will suffice

NMKO made a comment that you should note.
    Most AU burl sellers are selling burl that is still green.
    You have to be very careful with the dense burl that is not dry.
    It tends to crack and pull itself apart unless dried slowly and carefully.
    The last batch I got from Australia ended up with over half loss.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Burl source: thanks for the extra info. I did notice some of their blocks were advertised with a moisture content of 25% should I avoid these all together or is there a way to dry them?

There are a basically two ways to dry wood, depends on how fast you want to do it and the access you have to the equipment needed. The time honored method is air drying - just let it sit and nature will take its course, but, as Mark stated, you need to make sure that doesn't happen too quickly or the wood may check (crack) on you. That's typically done with some sort of retardant like Anchorseal. And there's kiln drying which is a combination of heat and exhaust ventilation. Kilns can be bought or DIY. Read up on it and see what's right for you, if anything. Don't try the oven or microwave!
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    Burl source: thanks for the extra info. I did notice some of their blocks were advertised with a moisture content of 25% should I avoid these all together or is there a way to dry them?
    Of what i bought i was informed ALL of it was between 8 - 12% moisture content... LOTS of it was green and no where near what was claimed in terms of moisture content - so i felt... I've had scales air drying for months now and decided i would see how it went, using a claimed 9% moisture content set of burl scales i made a small saya, within a few days after finishing said saya the join lines had seperated and you could clearly see movement in the wood...

Since then i had a few pieces of forrest oak i had drying out for around a month, decided to use that - Still no movement and the join lines are well disguised.. Of all the stuff i had from this particular seller this dried the fastest and cleanest with no checks... I've got some brown mallee burl thats almost ready and its taken nearly 3 months or so and its the best looking and most dense of all his stock i think.