Starting small - which knifes to buy? Deba for small fish & petty.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_k

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been lurking for a few weeks and am now keen to start buying a few knives (slowly...).
I have a 210mm yanagiba, a 200mm Sabatier 'chef's knife', a 200mm Sabatier narrow slicer, and a 150mm Sabatier petty.

I catch my own fish and this is mainly bass up to 10 pounds, red mullet, dover sole etc (i.e. small UK fish).

I'd like to get a deba for small fish, I cook at home so can take my time, I would be sharpening on japanese water stones (King 800/1200/6000/10,000) and would prefer a wa handle. As for steel.... I don't need anything pretty (no damascus) but I would prefer something that takes a wickedly sharp edge. Am happy to maintain it so carbon is fine.
Have been looking at the Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan (blue steel #2 on JCK) either the 165mm deba or possibly the 180mm ai-deba (not sure if that is too long for small fish...)

I'm also after a 150mm petty to replace the Sabatier one I have - I use this length alot for fruit / general purpose. Just needs to be a sharp workhorse and can have wa or western handle.
I've been looking at the Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Aogami Super Series (from JCK) - any thoughts?
Other options are the Misono stainless and the Misono swedish carbon (but am leaning away from the swedish carbon as I know I will use this knife for fruit quite alot).

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
-> small Deba
-> 150mm petty

Are you right or left handed?
-> right handed (biggish hands / my height = 6' 2" tall)

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
-> wa handle for deba
-> western or wa for petty

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
-> 165mm ?? for deba - not sure - open to suggestions/experience (for fish up to 10 pounds)
-> 150mm petty

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
-> no requirements for stainless. I think I would prefer carbon or carbon clad for the deba. For the petty, either carbon clad or stainless as fruit will be used...

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
-> deba : $250 / £150
->petty : $150 / £90

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
-> home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
-> deba : fish prep
-> petty : fruit prep / general use

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
-> deba : new knife for me, not replacing anything
-> petty : replacing 150mm Sabatier

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
-> pinch / hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
->chop / slice etc

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
-> deba : just want a knife that is specific to prepping small fish
-> petty : would like a sharper knife with better balance and a little thinner / lighter than current one

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
-> wood boards

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
-> yes - I use waterstones

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
-> sure, have been thinking about a strop for getting a good polish for some other tools so might cross over into kitchen knives

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
-> nope

Thanks for any advice,
Ed

Back