The blade I never knew I wanted.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaamax

Reaction score
Just got an old Tadatsuna petty (180) in white #2 from a friend… and holy sheiit, this is a good knife.
Three points I like to bring up:
1. Tadatsuna is one rockin' maker that seems to have fallen off the radar as of late.
2. Never thought I would want/need a petty. Wow, a slimmed down and nimble Gyuto is how I see it and a silver-skin destroyer of the highest order that weighs NOTHING. I just look for excuses to use it. In-hand use and then on the board without needing to change blades=xlnt!
3. White #2, I love it. Easy to sharpen, holds the edge and WANTS to put on the most blue patina I've ever encountered. One banana and it starts changing immediately in the best of ways.
Alright, is my gushing over? that's what it's like when you're on a forum and your Old Lady finds you boring as hell… LOL!

DSC02436.jpg

+1 on Tad as an unsung hero. I've a 240 INOX Suji that is a joy to use and a white Usaba that I don't use well but enjoy.

Did some power google one day and found a lot of praise for them back in 2009 time frame. Little mention since. Fickle *****, these knife guys...:cool2:

Tadatsuna: the original Sakai layzor (along with the Suisin Inox Honyaki), were popular prior to 2009 iirc. Somewhat unique in using a Japanese alloy in their inox line (Ginsanko) rather than the Swedish steel preferred by the other Sakai makers/resellers.

I can relate in terms of the petty as an awesome knife. I've been primarily using 210mm gyuto's with profiles that lend themselves to detail work. I've recently switched to mainly 240's and noticed that they had become somewhat unwieldily when going for the detail work/small cuts. I purchased a Konosuke White #2 petty back from Jon a long time ago and never really used it. I used it yesterday to quarter some button mushrooms and mince some shallots and what a dream to use!

I've been eyeing the gyuto 210mm Inox from Tadatsuna.

But most likely I will get HHH 240mm gyuto AEB-L first.

I picked up a Tadatsuna, for a great price, when Inox wasn't popular on the forum or 300mm Gyutos, for that matter. I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out that the Tadatsuna fits my cutting style to a T. It's easily the best purchase, I've ever made.

Jay

I have an inox set, 180 petty, 240 gyuto, 270 sujihiki fantastic stainless lazer set for work, I dont use them too much, but if I had to use stainless knives at work, this would be my set.

I picked up a Tadatsuna, for a great price, when Inox wasn't popular on the forum or 300mm Gyutos, for that matter. I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out that the Tadatsuna fits my cutting style to a T. It's easily the best purchase, I've ever made.

Jay

Wow, a 300mm Tad Gyuto. Can only imagine how thin that might be... Wicked.
I use a Watanabe 270, but damn that has a spine on it.

Back