What knives to use on frozen food?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apathetic

Reaction score
I sometimes have to cut frozen protein in small pieces, I would never use any of nice knives for that task. So what do you guys use in this situation?

have a 10" Dexter for that kind of use, Has a robust blade, & cheap enough that replacing it wont kill my beer budget.
12072_1.jpg

El chepo Chinese Cleaver with rubber mallet.

I chipped the blade a couple of times when it accidentally hit beef rib bones.

Just grind it off, sharpen, and back to business.

I cut up frozen fruit for smoothies,banana,mango's,strawwberries,pineapple,peaches etc.to small bits so my blender will not have a heart attack.Use Tojiro F-920 VG-10 cleaver.Best VG-10 I have ever used,great convex grind,little over 1# weight.

Wooden barrel handle wt. stupid bolt sticking out the back.I sawed it off & epoxyed the gap.Like the extra weight,one hand on handle & other on the blade to take chunks of frozen fruit to mince in short order.

I cut up frozen fruit for smoothies,banana,mango's,strawwberries,pineapple,peaches etc.to small bits so my blender will not have a heart attack.Use Tojiro F-920 VG-10 cleaver.Best VG-10 I have ever used,great convex grind,little over 1# weight.

Wooden barrel handle wt. stupid bolt sticking out the back.I sawed it off & epoxyed the gap.Like the extra weight,one hand on handle & other on the blade to take chunks of frozen fruit to mince in short order.

I can see how a good heavy and harder knife would work, but don't you get too many chips on your cleaver from the abuse?

That looks quite interesting!

At the moment I am using my cheap old chef knife but I find it had a bit too much trouble cutting the thicker pieces.

No chips at all using it frozen food 4-5 times a week for smoothies over a year.I had another thinner stainless cleaver that chipped like crazy.Piece of junk.The Tojiro is quite a bit thicker but has a nice convex grind that cuts well.I have not cut any bone wt. it.

Latest posts

Back