Quantcast
What do you read? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you read?

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    I usually prefer other genres then fantasy/fiction, but besides what others has already mentioned, I really enjoyed Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth series. Read it about 10 years ago and it was brilliant. Probably more suitable for children, but still pretty good.

There are few really nice Russian authors who writes fiction. I can recommend Sergey Lukyanenko with his series of Night Watch/Day Watch/The Twilight Watch/Last Watch. Awesome books. They are available on Amazon translated to English. Those are the most twisted and interesting fiction books I've read so far. There are also movies based on those books, but skip those.
    I have seen Night Watch and really enjoyed it.Didnt now it was a series of novels.I will need to hunt them down now.

I can't read fiction. The last work I read was Murakami's 1Q84. All 1318 pages. I'll regret the time I spent slogging through that when I'm on my deathbed.
    Lately I've been reading mostly late 19th early 20th century world history & political satire. Fascinating stuff.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by scotchef38 View Post
    I have seen Night Watch and really enjoyed it.Didnt now it was a series of novels.I will need to hunt them down now.
    Trust me, books are 10 times better. One good thing about this series — all the books are great, not only first 1 or 2 and they all continue one single story.

Neil Stephenson's 'The Baroque Cycle' is my favorite ever.

What Follet book would you read first?
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

David Weber The Dahak series (4 books) is really good.

Terry Brooks who is well know for his Shannara series, has a great series called Word and Void. I tried to re read the Shannara books but found them to not stand up. His writing has really approved!

Tend toward non-fiction.I like history.Years ago read( Inside The Third Reich) by Albert Speer.Just started reading (The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich) by William Shirer

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I can't read fiction. The last work I read was Murakami's 1Q84. All 1318 pages. I'll regret the time I spent slogging through that when I'm on my deathbed.
    Lately I've been reading mostly late 19th early 20th century world history & political satire. Fascinating stuff.
    Love Murakami!!! Just finished After Dark yesterday.

Apart from the cookbooks and wine books, I like to read WWII History and fiction by authors such as James Lee Burke, James Ellroy, W.E.B. Griffin, Stephen Hunter and Ian Rankin.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    Love Murakami!!! Just finished After Dark yesterday.

I finally found a copy of Pinball 1973 that wasn't overly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    John Scalzi
    Vernor Vinge
    Patrick Rothfuss

These are just a couple of names that I can remember off the top of my head.
    Kingkiller chronicles is awesome. Can't wait for the 3rd book.

I read a lot of fantasy. George R R Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Brooks, Jim butcher, David eddings, China mieville and Robert Jordan are among my favorites.

I also read cookbooks when I can.