What do you read?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I listen to audiobooks while I work. It keeps my mind busy while my hands do all the work. Sometimes I will listen to some music, but it's mostly books. I like sci-fi and fantasy, sometimes a thriller or mystery. I tend to collect books by the same author, but i don't collect everything. Except for Terry prachett, I have every book he's written.
I have this issue with trying new books/authors though. It's like going on a blind date for me, maybe worse. Audible has over 10000 books in the sci-fi and fantasy category, and I have maybe 600 of them.
There's the background, so what I'm asking is what authors do you like? Or what books?
I'm looking for some new stuff to listen to. If you have a favorite, I'm looking to go on a blind date. :viking:

These are some of the authors I like.
Prachett
King
Poul Anderson
Piers Anthony
Orson Scott Card
Lawrence Block
Lincoln Child
Douglas Preston
Larry Niven
Jerry Pournelle
Kelly Armstrong
Issac Asimov
Greg Bear
Fred Saberhagen
Dean Koontz
David Brin
Dan Simmons
Ben Bova
Charles Sheffield

One of the authors I have been looking at is Fritz Lieber, if you have read some of his stuff let me know how you liked it.

Thanks,
Del

John Scalzi
Vernor Vinge
Patrick Rothfuss

These are just a couple of names that I can remember off the top of my head.

right there with you. long time Pratchett fan.

also like "real life adventure", the most famous being "Kon Tiki".

and for fun, Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" series.

I'm right there with greasedbullet on Robert Jordan one of my all time Favs have read them a few times As well as The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and R.A. Salvatore Drizzt series of books. Could go on and on with the dozens of books on the shelves but those hit the top of the list.

Oh yeah, can't forget the hobbit and Lotr, I read them when I was ten. I still love them. I loved the Ents.
Del

Steve Erickson
Haruki Murakami
John Connolly
Hermann Hesse
Henry Miller
Jesse Ball
Raymond Chandler
Dashiell Hammett
David Mitchell
Charlie Huston
Dwayne Swierzinski
Mikhail Bulgakov
Dostoevsky

Do you ever book swap Del, or is it not worth the trouble. Just digital downloads?

Do you ever book swap Del, or is it not worth the trouble. Just digital downloads?

I use audible, swapping there isn't allowed. As far as books in text, I have been slowly giving away most of my library. I still have 500 or so, mostly ones I can't part with, or ones not yet in audio. I still wind up giving up a few books every year.
Del

Dan silva novels are fun, Nelson demille, riddle master series, sparrow and children of god, the historian, cutting for stone, ken follet pillars of the earth and world without end, pat conroy, lonesome dove and sequels...... so many. Great thread though, always looking for good reads

I agree about Robert Jordan series , but honestly got tired of them after the seventh or eighth one.

Yeah. It was meant to be 6 books long and then the book company told him to make it longer, so 5-like 9 or so are supposed to be slow but I heard it picks up and ends amazingly. I am rereading from the beginning to the end. I'm on 6 right now, I never got past 8 before.

Love me some Ken Follet. Read pillars of the earth about 15 Year's ago and think it's high time to read it again. Got my wife to read it a couple years back after telling her about it for some time. She loved it and is now a Follet fan herself.

Christopher Moore
Neil Gaiman
Jim Butcher
Brandon Sanderson
Isaac Asimov
Douglas Adams

Jim Butcher both series. Love the Dresdian files.
Robert Jordan, got to about bk 9. It makes sense about it getting stretched out, it really starts dragging way to much.
C.J. Box Game warden in Wyoming is not boring at all. Makes good mystery reads.
Sue Grafton easy quick read.
Frank Herbert loved the Dune series
Lee Child Movie got me reading his Jack Reacher series. Of coarse the books are better than the movie.
Michael Connelly, read The Poet almost 20 years ago and still one of my favorite books
Raymond E. Fiest Magician is a must read for anyone that loves to read.
Fred Saberhagen love his Berserker series
Ugh, how could I forget Elmore Leonard. Haven't read any of his westerns, but then again his view on mob/cops is quite entertaining.

just read the whole dune series,all of the wheel of time series, all of the Malazan empire series, All of Tolkiens books, All of Mark Twain?s stuff and Ullysses, The Illiad and The Aeneid, The complete Sherlock Holmes and am now reading the complete works of Dickens. just finished Oliver Twist an hour ago. Not to mention a bunch of William Johnstones Mountain man series and a bunch of Louis La'mour. Read Aesop's fables, Andersen's fairy tales and Grimm's fairy tales. the complete tales of Robin Hood. I think I've read about 60,000-70,000 pages this year.

anything by Robert Silverberg I love, and of course the whole A Song of Ice and Fire thing

Everything from Nabokov to Stephen King,Neil Gaiman to Dickens. Being Scottish I do like Scottish authors such as Iain Banks ,Ian Rankin and Irvine Welsh.I like Pratchett but thats about it as far as fantasy goes.Never got into Scifi /fantasy with the exception of Neuromancer or Tolkein.Ian Banks is very well regarded as a Sci-fi writer under the name of Iain M Banks.

I usually prefer other genres then fantasy/fiction, but besides what others has already mentioned, I really enjoyed Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth series. Read it about 10 years ago and it was brilliant. Probably more suitable for children, but still pretty good.

There are few really nice Russian authors who writes fiction. I can recommend Sergey Lukyanenko with his series of Night Watch/Day Watch/The Twilight Watch/Last Watch. Awesome books. They are available on Amazon translated to English. Those are the most twisted and interesting fiction books I've read so far. There are also movies based on those books, but skip those.

I read Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series from Fritz Leiber a long time ago. As far as I remember it was a solid sword & sorceries series with a lot of small stories. Some of them were really good, others more average.

The wheel of time series slows down after the 5th book if I remember well with too many characters and separate events, but it actually focuses back on the action in the 3 last ones which I read recently. So for those already far in, it's definitely worth reading.

Edit: a few corrections

I usually prefer other genres then fantasy/fiction, but besides what others has already mentioned, I really enjoyed Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth series. Read it about 10 years ago and it was brilliant. Probably more suitable for children, but still pretty good.

There are few really nice Russian authors who writes fiction. I can recommend Sergey Lukyanenko with his series of Night Watch/Day Watch/The Twilight Watch/Last Watch. Awesome books. They are available on Amazon translated to English. Those are the most twisted and interesting fiction books I've read so far. There are also movies based on those books, but skip those.

I have seen Night Watch and really enjoyed it.Didnt now it was a series of novels.I will need to hunt them down now.

I can't read fiction. The last work I read was Murakami's 1Q84. All 1318 pages. I'll regret the time I spent slogging through that when I'm on my deathbed.
Lately I've been reading mostly late 19th early 20th century world history & political satire. Fascinating stuff.

I have seen Night Watch and really enjoyed it.Didnt now it was a series of novels.I will need to hunt them down now.
Trust me, books are 10 times better. One good thing about this series — all the books are great, not only first 1 or 2 and they all continue one single story.

David Weber The Dahak series (4 books) is really good.

Terry Brooks who is well know for his Shannara series, has a great series called Word and Void. I tried to re read the Shannara books but found them to not stand up. His writing has really approved!

Tend toward non-fiction.I like history.Years ago read( Inside The Third Reich) by Albert Speer.Just started reading (The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich) by William Shirer

I can't read fiction. The last work I read was Murakami's 1Q84. All 1318 pages. I'll regret the time I spent slogging through that when I'm on my deathbed.
Lately I've been reading mostly late 19th early 20th century world history & political satire. Fascinating stuff.

Love Murakami!!! Just finished After Dark yesterday.

Apart from the cookbooks and wine books, I like to read WWII History and fiction by authors such as James Lee Burke, James Ellroy, W.E.B. Griffin, Stephen Hunter and Ian Rankin.

John Scalzi
Vernor Vinge
Patrick Rothfuss

These are just a couple of names that I can remember off the top of my head.

Kingkiller chronicles is awesome. Can't wait for the 3rd book.

I read a lot of fantasy. George R R Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Brooks, Jim butcher, David eddings, China mieville and Robert Jordan are among my favorites.

I also read cookbooks when I can.

Back