first time rehandle (forgie)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramenlegend

Reaction score
My first rehandle attempt of a forgecraft 10 inch chef knife. I now know why people leave it to the professionals. It will be awhile before I try to do one of these bad boys again.

Looks good to me. What's the wood?

Be well,
Mikey

The wood is a stabilized maidou scale (?) from jantz. I wanted to go very simple and cheap. I would have spent more money the wood if I had known how long the process was going to take. I thought I ruined the thing about 10 times:scared4:. Rick's rehandle video was my tutorial, extremely helpful.

Very nice. What tools did you use?

Rehandling can be a very messy and ugly project, until you get that final shape. I get excited as I'm hand sanding; and rubbing the oil finish in releases the beauty of your efforts.

Keep it up!

I used the cheapest sander and drilled press from harbor freight and some belts from amazon. The worst part was drilling the tang, it took FOREVER and I felt like I was getting nowhere.

Try heating it with a torch, just until it glows, than dip it in water. The distempering makes it much easier.

Looks good to me as well.
90% sure the wood is Madrone Burl.

That looks good. I must have broken like 20 drill bits on my first attempt at rehandling a forgie. It was very frustrating. Yours turned out much better than my first.

Back