Quantcast
New gyoto, new to *** knives! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New gyoto, new to *** knives!

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    My guess is "***" is you typing "Jay ay pee" which is considered by many Japanese to be derogatory.
    Not only so by Japanese.

I like the tanaka for the price and JKI doesn't really sell any bad knives as far as I've seen. Jon is very careful about what he allows in his store. Sorry didn't notice the wa handle preference. It is nice to see someone new to j-knives wanting japanese style handles.

If it was me I would go for the gesshin uraku white 2.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Our polite term around here for Japanese Knives, is J-Knives

Edit:Chuck beat me to it, and in a much more graceful and informative manner.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Thanks for the knoledge and thanks for the suggestion. If I had to choose between white 1-2. Blue 1-2 or SS. What would one choose? White 2 gets sharper than blue but less edge retention?

I was under the impression that the differences in sharpness between white and blue is almost indistinguishable, except by very proficient sharpeners.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I was under the impression that the differences in sharpness between white and blue is almost indistinguishable, except by very proficient sharpeners.
    This. Also, the skill of the smith is more important than the steel type.

Still, your sharpening skill will be the limiting factor, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    Thanks for the knoledge and thanks for the suggestion. If I had to choose between white 1-2. Blue 1-2 or SS. What would one choose? White 2 gets sharper than blue but less edge retention?
    for somebody new to Japanese knives, any hypothetical difference would be nil.

i think even poorly made inexpensive knives with hitachi steels are generally really easy to sharpen though. in that respect theyre probably good entry level knives.

If you're new to good knives going for white steel might not be a bad idea, they're generally pretty cheap, easy to sharpen and should perform much better than anything you're used to
    "There are 2 mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way and not starting"

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    If you're new to good knives going for white steel might not be a bad idea, they're generally pretty cheap, easy to sharpen and should perform much better than anything you're used to
    Thanks. Hesitating on three of the JKI listed.

240 mm Uraku SS

240 mm white #2

240 mm Gonbei damascus SS

Or even Zakuri blue #1