Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Check out my "new" chopping block

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    John,
    sides don't drop below 80 grit and do it with an orbit sander. Belt sander keep two hands on it. That thing can be beastly. One way to do it, is to keep it static, and sand in bursts.

M
    Right, I was just going to refinish the sides a bit, not trying to take off lots of material off.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Hmm, sure you want to sand it any more? Looks a bit thin as it is.

Maybe if you stuck some of those non skid feet on the bottom it wouldn't move around when you are cutting fruit on it?

=P

What are you going to do for legs? That thing is so heavy it's going to need some Big Girl legs to hold it steady. Maybe a HD table with some drawers or a couple of shelves. Just to let you know, I'm envious.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    What ya need is a miter plane and some time! A low angle bevel up hand plane would shave the end grain and give you a nice smooth surface devoid of abrasive particles that lurk in wait for your edges!
    Or just chop away and not worry about it!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO no mitre plane! I tried that years ago on a butcher block table we had at work, and it f&*ked it up something awful. If you want try a hand plane with a really sharp blade. Be careful about peaks and valleys. Sanders tend to leave divots.
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

Might this be worth a call to a good carpenter? I wouldn't want to mess up such a nice piece.
    But, you can do it!!!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

My father build a base cabinet for it years ago that has 1 big drawer for pots and pans or whatever, and brings the block up to counter height.

It also has big holes on the under side for legs from when it was in the butcher's shop.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Just lob off the top of it with a chainsaw. You'll be done before you know it!
    - Sean

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO no mitre plane! I tried that years ago on a butcher block table we had at work, and it f&*ked it up something awful. If you want try a hand plane with a really sharp blade. Be careful about peaks and valleys. Sanders tend to leave divots.
    Miter planes were designed for this sort of thing. That is why they were called "block" planes. If the plane is properly tuned and sharp it will work fine. If not fettled correctly it will be a nightmare.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig