Thin Gyuto Recommedations / Information

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am interested in giving the laser/thin class of Gyutos a try and wanted some recommendations on which one(s) I should get.

The knives below are the ones I am considering.

Konosuke HD
Sakai Yusuke
Gesshin Ginga
Tadatsuna
Suisin Inox Honyaki

I was leaning toward trying to find a used Tadasuna or getting a Sakai Yusuke when they are available.

Any input or experience regarding those blades would be appreciated.

I filled out the part of the knife questionnaire to give an idea of what I am looking for.

KNIFE TYPE:
Lefty
210 to 240 mm Gyuto
Prefer Wa Handle but Western is acceptable
Prefer stainless but will consider carbon
Spend up to $350

KNIFE USE
Home Use. Slicing vegetables. Some protein trimming and portioning

I only have experience with the Tads having both Inox and Shiro-ko 240s and a 270 Shiro.

I like them a lot.

The Inox 240 is still the favorite out of all my 240s - it just has a unique feel and balance as well as fit & finish.

They do run short so consider a 240.

AFrames appears to have both steels in both sizes in stock :)

I have both a Konosuke White #2 240 and a Gesshin Ginga White #2 240. They are both fantastic knives but the Ginga's fit and finish are superior to the Konosuke. The spine and choil are nicely polished and the grind is to die for! Good luck.

I only have experience with the Tads having both Inox and Shiro-ko 240s and a 270 Shiro.

I like them a lot.

The Inox 240 is still the favorite out of all my 240s - it just has a unique feel and balance as well as fit & finish.

They do run short so consider a 240.

AFrames appears to have both steels in both sizes in stock :)

Is the difference between the Shiro-Ko and Shiro the steels used?

I have both a Konosuke White #2 240 and a Gesshin Ginga White #2 240. They are both fantastic knives but the Ginga's fit and finish are superior to the Konosuke. The spine and choil are nicely polished and the grind is to die for! Good luck.

It good to know the fit and finish is better on the Ginga than the Konosuke. I was leaning toward the Ginga more than the Konosuke and would rather support Jon at JKI than the other merchant who sells Konosuke unless there is another source for Konosuke that I don't know about.

Have you tried any other of the Konosuke's other than the White #1 ?
I was leaning more toward the Ginga than the Konosuke

i like all of your options, i believe ive heard from someone that yusuke is very asymetrically grind though, it might not be very noticeable though due to how thin the knives are. just grab whatever is in stock.

Back