Quantcast
New knife - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New knife

Konosuke fujiyama in white or blue then. definitely.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Do you know if anyone has reviewed one on here? Had a look but couldn't find any
    Life's too short for bad food and bad wine.

Also I've been looking at the kochi migaki on JKI and the ohishi migaki on EE. can anyone tell me much about those?

I know it's hard not to get carried away with the whole steel game, but I'd be less focused on what type of steel you're getting, and how long it'll hold an edge than I would be on overall quality and performance of the knife. As a home user, edge retention is only a minor factor, and especially when it comes to guys like us who probably sharpen far more often than needed. It's nice to know your knife ca take and hold a fantastic edge, but ultimately, what matters is how well it cuts and how much fun it is to use/the feeling you get when you use it. With that being said, a Konosuke Fujiyama could be the last knife you ever need. They are pretty spectacular knives with incredible fit and finish and really nice steel/heat treatment to boot (it does play a part, for sure). I'd also look pretty seriously at japanesenaturalstones' Itinomonn, and anything that Jon, at japaneseknifeimports sells. If I were you, I'd try out a slightly heavier than laser type of knife (like a Kono Fujiyama, Itinomonn, or Kochi). You might learn a lot about what you really like, and disover that your preferences are different than you might have thought. This is the fun part of this hobby, so consider yourself lucky!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Yeah that's kind of what I wad getting at earlier. I have a stainless laser so now i'm thinking that id like to try something with a bit more weight and carbon. i'm seeing a lot of love for the konosuke . how does it compare to the kochi and itinomon?

OP, I notice you are in Melbourne, I suggest you take a look at the Mizuno Tanrenjo Hontanren blue #2 wa-gyuto at JCK. No one talks about these much anymore, but go look in the archives.

I'm going to suggest this is the same blade as the Fujiyama, and I've never heard anything except praise for Mizuno geometry.

Are they made by the same people?

Impossible to say for sure. The Mizuno is forged by Akitada, apparently. Looking at the distinctive profile, emoto/choil, high "shinogi" line, the patina that they take (i.e. the reactivity of the cladding), the tendency of the knives to run very short - all of this suggests to me it's the same smith.

Konosuke is a reseller - they sell all kinds of knives, from a variety of different smiths.

personally id take the mizuno over the konosuke just because i like the profile on miz much more.

I'd take the Miz because I don't think the ebony handle is worth $100 more (although Koki will put one on the Miz if you ask, in fact you have more options for handle customisation with the Miz), plus the OP is in Australia, and he will save a hefty chunk of change on shipping/customs.

+ Reply to Thread