New knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff1

Reaction score
Birthday is coming up and looking at getting myself a present. About a year ago I got myself a Richmond laser 240 gyuto. It's not bad and I'm by no means an expert but I'm looking at getting a carbon. I'm thinking something in AS I have a 150 hiro petty and I love the way it sharpens and I also want it to still be a laser with a fairly flat profile. That's the thing that annoys me about the Richmond is the heel digs in the board because it drops slightly and I get a lot of incomplete cuts.

Looking for suggestions around the $300 - $350 mark if possible

Thanks

Did the Richmond come like that? It's possible that your sharpening has created an issue with the geometry

Did the Richmond come like that? It's possible that your sharpening has created an issue with the geometry

almost certainly what has happened. That happened to me for a long time. Watch your heels as you sharpen, jeff1, as the heel tends to not touch the stones as much as other parts of the edge, and you can under-grind it.

a Konosuke Fujiyama 240 white #2 gyuto maybe?

Konosuke fujiyama white #2 gyuto is one of my boss's favorite knives. But it is not a laser (still very awesome though). Sakai Yusuke white steel gyuto. Konosuke white steel gyuto.

Also in the non-laser category
Kochi non stainless clad is still in stock at jki
Takeda
Heiji

I don't personally have experience with these three knives, but have heard they are awesome.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to pay attention to the heel next time I'm sharpening. How does the white 2 compare to Aogami super for holding an edge.

White 2 will have noticeably less edge retention than blue super if both are made properly, maybe a finer edge on the white 2 however because of the lack of additives that appear in Blue Super

Seeing as its only for home use I think id prefer the edge quality over the retention. My my options have just increased and so has the amount of time I will spend looking at knives. Good thing work is quiet.

After further consideration I have decided that laser is not necessary as I already have one and should probably try something different. So now my requirements have changed to carbon blade, no handle preference, something with no stiction because it really annoys me. 240ish in size and the price remains the same 300 - 350.

Do you know if anyone has reviewed one on here? Had a look but couldn't find any

Also I've been looking at the kochi migaki on JKI and the ohishi migaki on EE. can anyone tell me much about those?

I know it's hard not to get carried away with the whole steel game, but I'd be less focused on what type of steel you're getting, and how long it'll hold an edge than I would be on overall quality and performance of the knife. As a home user, edge retention is only a minor factor, and especially when it comes to guys like us who probably sharpen far more often than needed. It's nice to know your knife ca take and hold a fantastic edge, but ultimately, what matters is how well it cuts and how much fun it is to use/the feeling you get when you use it. With that being said, a Konosuke Fujiyama could be the last knife you ever need. They are pretty spectacular knives with incredible fit and finish and really nice steel/heat treatment to boot (it does play a part, for sure). I'd also look pretty seriously at japanesenaturalstones' Itinomonn, and anything that Jon, at japaneseknifeimports sells. If I were you, I'd try out a slightly heavier than laser type of knife (like a Kono Fujiyama, Itinomonn, or Kochi). You might learn a lot about what you really like, and disover that your preferences are different than you might have thought. This is the fun part of this hobby, so consider yourself lucky!

Yeah that's kind of what I wad getting at earlier. I have a stainless laser so now i'm thinking that id like to try something with a bit more weight and carbon. i'm seeing a lot of love for the konosuke . how does it compare to the kochi and itinomon?

OP, I notice you are in Melbourne, I suggest you take a look at the Mizuno Tanrenjo Hontanren blue #2 wa-gyuto at JCK. No one talks about these much anymore, but go look in the archives.

I'm going to suggest this is the same blade as the Fujiyama, and I've never heard anything except praise for Mizuno geometry.

Impossible to say for sure. The Mizuno is forged by Akitada, apparently. Looking at the distinctive profile, emoto/choil, high "shinogi" line, the patina that they take (i.e. the reactivity of the cladding), the tendency of the knives to run very short - all of this suggests to me it's the same smith.

Konosuke is a reseller - they sell all kinds of knives, from a variety of different smiths.

I'd take the Miz because I don't think the ebony handle is worth $100 more (although Koki will put one on the Miz if you ask, in fact you have more options for handle customisation with the Miz), plus the OP is in Australia, and he will save a hefty chunk of change on shipping/customs.

And after all that what did I do? Talked myself into a HHH 240 aeb-l gyuto that Randy found down the back of the couch. Although I'm sure it will be better than the Richmond I have now. It does mean I'm going to have to put my carbon on the back burner. Especially since I have a Korin yanagi on the way as well. Lucky it's my birthday tomorrow or the mrs might just kill me. Ah well she can have the Richmond.

Back