Kato / Shigefusa owners in Melbourne, Australia - need some assistance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mute-on

Reaction score
Dear All,

Hoping for some help from Kato or Shigefusa owners and competent sharpeners in Melbourne, Australia.

If you own knives of this level and are very confident with your sharpening skills, please let me know.

I'm having some edge issues and don't possess any stones or sharpening skills :(

Many thanks and Happy New Year to All on KKF !!!!

Justin

Im pretty happy with my edges on kato and shigs. The kato was a learning curve! I wouldnt feel comfortable on someone elses knives though..... Get a freaking stone man! Not expensive, not as hard as you might think, practice on a cheaper knife. What kind of issues are you talking?

Im pretty happy with my edges on kato and shigs. The kato was a learning curve! I wouldnt feel comfortable on someone elses knives though..... Get a freaking stone man! Not expensive, not as hard as you might think, practice on a cheaper knife. What kind of issues are you talking?

Fair enough, Jimbob :). I will be ordering a Bester 1200/ Rika 5000 ASAP.

Issues so far are just some microchipping on Shigs. Kato as yet unused for fear of doing the same. I may PM for guidance once stones arrive and I've practiced on my Globals and Shuns ...

Cheers

Justin

Those are good choice stones. My kato went through a micro chipping phase. To be honest, I'm not sure what fixed it, it just sort of went away through sharpening. As if it's true steel got exposed.... There are many more pro sharpeners here but I would suggest a slightly increased angle or a microbevel?

Maybe consider a sharpening course at CA in Richmond…gave me a good start then it is practice, practice, practice...

Back