Quantcast
Advise needed for a young chef. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise needed for a young chef.

Quit and find a new career before it's too late.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    You're working as the sous. Ask for the proper title and wages otherwise walk out.
    I'm not really interested in titles at the end of the day, what matters most is the pay. I would love to walk out but it's against my principle to just walk out and leave like that. I've also made an unwritten agreement with my head chef that if I were to leave I would give him 2 months notice instead of 1

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    welcome to the restaurant business.
    Hahah thanks for the warm welcome! Am embracing every moment of it!

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    I think you're lucky in the sense that you have the opportunity to see what kitchen management is and what it calls for. With this experience and knowledge, you will no doubt look at every dirty corner and every scrap of food much differently. As in that scrap of food cost money, and that corner ain't going to effin clean itself. I think it's important for young cooks to understand this, yet unfortunately all it seems they "understand" is how wasted they got last night, how much more they think they're worth and of course they're all "beasts" in the kitchen.

For a chef, finding a cook with this kind of appreciation and drive is like finding a pot of gold. It's a rarity these days, sadly. This industry is rapidly being inflated by talentless egos, mired by hacks and shoemakers.
    I was quite lucky at my last job as I had gained a sous and a line cook who both understood the importance of what it takes to be Good in this business. I would have done just about anything to make sure they stayed, learned and enjoyed their tenure with me. I say this as it would appear your chef may be on the fence in the way he treats you. I don't believe a chef needs to constantly hug and praise his staff, there's no time for that crap and creates a bad environment full of soft lilies who'll throw hissy fits every chance they get. Tough love is the only way, but it has to exist in the first place.
    Personally,I think it's time you left to continue honing your craft. Your time spent in your current kitchen has afforded you a great experience that most cooks don't get this early in the game. Take this education and pack it away for now and get back to the mise en place and learning.
    My mentor, who has now retired taught me all the basics from cost cutting to saving every bit of scrap for something, probably that's one of the reasons that I'm pretty comfortable when my current head chef squeezes every single thing out of every ingredient. Also my current head chef makes sure and strongly enforces the cleanliness of the kitchen almost every minute that he is there which is also what I firmly believe. I know very well I'm not a "beast" to say in the kitchen but I work at a pretty decent speed.i know where I am lacking for knife skills, meat fabrication, and most importantly filleting a fish which I hardly get any chance here to do it as my head chef is always the one that fillets the fish and we only use yellow fin tuna and hiramasa kingfish. I tried to talk to him to let.kr try but he was afraid that I would ruin the product.

I would love to move on the continue honing my draft but am just awaiting for the right opportunity. Thank you for the advise given!

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    Time too move on for sure. But I think you already know that! Don't feel obligated to stay you've done more than enough for them by the sounds of it. Getting taken advantage of and doing tasks above your pay grade is definitely a theme in this industry! Just about every job I've had...
    And all head chefs I've had except for two are exactly like yours
    I seriously don't really mind getting underpaid as long as I'm learning that is why till this date I'm still at my current place. I belive every place you work at, there will be people taking advantage of you just that till what extent they do it. So now it's only awaiting for a right opportunity and off I will leave this place unless miraculously there a massive changes. Anws thank you all for taking the time out to chime in!

Cheers kkf!

I'm not in the restaurant business, but maybe they are taking advantage of you.

Your age should not be a factor in whether you are given the title and pay of "sous chef." Experience might, but if you are basically doing the job, you are showing yourself as capable of doing it. Perhaps time to talk to the owners directly?

I wouldn't advocate walking out at any rate. But you could always explain your position and ask for what you want and think you deserve. Whether or not the answer determines whether you stay or go is up to you. It's a stronger play if you are prepared to leave if you don't get what you want.

Two months seems like an incredibly long time for notice, but I'd honor the agreement if that's what you made. Since started there pretty young, and have a lot of years in, I'd suggest leaving on the best possible terms to keep the good reference and your options open.

Good luck.

Whenever I get the idea that I might want to leave a place, it's only a matter of time. Even when they realise I'm leaving, and offer me the thing I wanted, I end up leaving because I've given myself all the other reasons I want to move.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    You are being taken advantage of. You know as they do you are not of age that they are comfortable with, but you are doing the job. Also you have been doing the job for less pay than someone at that lvl would get. If you don't take the title when you move on you will not be able to use that title for the future (resume). Don't count yourself short in the work you have learned, continue to keep learning the post even ask what else you can be doing. You can always go to other jobs and still learn the way you are wanting, take this a time to learn this part of the job.

But also remember if you can't stomach the place any more then it's time to move on.
    Chewie's the man.

I would ask for that promotion or move on.

I was in a similar situation recently. I ended up getting the promotion after essentially doing the job for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    You're working as the sous. Ask for the proper title and wages otherwise walk out.
    this,... sounds like you're being taken advantage of... you should be learning not doing grunt work. you are in the kind of position where you wake up and next thing you know you've been doing the same guys prep work for 10 years
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown