Kato/shig/kono gyuto, best grind for left handed?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessePowers

Reaction score
Have been looking at all three brands for some time and just don't know if one is more suited to a left handed user than the others.

You don't say which Konosuke, but I've had a Kato and a Shigefusa and both have pretty neutral grinds. The handles may be for right-handers, but that's pretty easily fixed.

Rick

What Rick said. Konosuke Fujiyama will be mostly flat on the left said and righty biased. HD/HD2 series is pretty thin overall and should be decent for both righties and lefties. I believe some lefties here have had good results with them. Kono will be much thinner at the spine/lighter/flexible than Kato/Shige. Kato/Shige usually thinner at the edge and better cutters in my experience.

My shig is very slightly righty biased when viewed from the choil. But it's not noticeable during use. My Kato IIRC was damn close to 50-50.

Looks like johnnychance is going to let me test drive a shig and a Kato and see what I prefer. At this point it looks like the 240 Kato from maxim with an octagonal handle seems to be the logical choice once back in stock... But there is also all the choices from JKI. Gangetsu or gesshin in white #2 would be less money any opinions as to how they stack up?

Back