Quantcast
A completely new set
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A completely new set

A completely new set

I am a home cook, and I really enjoy cooking and baking. I have been using a set of Saber knives from Costco to tie me over. I thought that it might take a year or two. However, it has taken me a little over six years of pinching and saving to get to my current budget. In any event, I have about $2300 cash to spend on everything. I can go as high as $3000, but it has to be for good reason. In any event, I have composed a list of knives and accessories that I believe is a good start. I currently have no experience sharpening my own knives, but I am excited to learn and try. The main reason why I am writing this is because I am having a hard time identifying what chef’s knife that I should purchase and other knives that I might need. I do not have a preference for carbon or stainless, and I am aware of their pros and cons. I appreciate any advice and thank you so appreciably for your input.

Gyuto ???
    Misono moly Bread Knife
    Gesshin Ginga 180mm Stainless Petty
    Ginga Chinese cleaver #6
    Pierre Rodrigue fork
    Water Stones
    Boardsmith 2" x 18" x 24" Walnut cutting board

That's an enviable budget and more than enough to get a awesome setup. Enjoy the hunt, plenty of knowledge worth listening to on here!

Wow. Dude I'm a pro (not a good one yet), but man what I could do with that budget. I suppose if I added up everything I had I could be in that price range, but it was never all at once. You have an opportunity to buil a great setup, keep asking questions is my advice.

get a gyuto in the 400-500 range. so then you can feel comfortable giving it a flogging and sharpening it a lot.

A few questions which might help with narrowing it down

Are you prepared to wait a year + for a custom knife?

Would you consider buying used from the BST?

Will you be the only one using the knives ?

Good luck with the search, you can definately get a cool collection with that budget
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I'm yet to understand why a home cook would need to sharpen a high-end gyuto "a lot". Anything with good retention that has been well sharpened should last for months when being used for a few minutes a day.

Oh haha I didnt even register that he was a home cook even though it says it at the start. Haha.

I was given one knife about 18 months ago. For the last 6 months I have been trying to decide what to get next, still deciding. Perhaps getting one knife first, and a stone or two, will make your decision easier.

No doubt many here will be glad to help you use up your budget.

I've been doing research on my first j-knife for almost two months now. Just one chefs knife. Today I finally made my choice. I think Lexington Jim ^ is on to something--focus on getting one knife, find out what you like about it, what you dont (if anything), what other needs you have that it can't fulfill, and grow your collection from there.

There's a lot involved in a small, well maintained collection. Going big right away may be overwhelming.