Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new tools for a young chef

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Have a Hiromoto 240 or 270 with JCK, a Fujiwara sujihiki for your friend, get both a €15 parer by Robert Herder and a new Chosera stone with
    edenwebshops.com
    Forget about your deba, you don't need it for now if you've a decent gyuto.
    Ok I'm going to have a look at all of this, but could you give me a hint of why I was on the wrong track ?

It's about shipping costs, and the deba is a highly specialized knife requiring great sharpening skills to get opened. An unexpensive single bevel is often source of great disappointment.

And Mr Koki Iwahara from JCK is a very serious guy.

I agree with Benuser. Take your time!

+1 on benuser's guidance

Ok thank you everyone you have me convinced ! I really appreciate all the advice.
    I am still curious about the deba, what's the best approach to such a knife if not to buy one and learn how to use it ?

The thing with single bevels is you absolutely get what you pay for. Pretty much anything sub $200 is a serious crap shoot. Even above $200 you will find some issues...

It's a very specialized knife, and unless you are working with fish frequently, it doesn't make much sense to invest in, especially if you need everyday practical stuff still.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

For a fish knife just get a carbon dexter I know I know they are **** and only like 30 dollers but they arent that flexible and sharpen up easily and like the other guys said you cant go cheap on single bevels they require alot of skill to craft and often the cheap ones are rubbish also how often do you have to break whole fish. If your just getting into sharpening id reccomend getting comfortable on the stones and then looking into single bevels. I cant talk though my first japanese knife was a usuba that was 900+ aud and it really opened my eyes up but I didnt sharpen it at first and bought a few more japanese double bevels learnt on them and bought more single bevels and then went back to my first knife and I really love it. So at the end of the day do what you want but proberbly take the advice from these guys even if you choose different just hear them out first.

I am not doing so much fish butchery myself, but I would like to. I need to get faster at doing a clean job. The day will definitely come when I get a Deba (a decent one because I'll remember your advice).

I will definitely take your advice ! I just like to understand things, so that's why I ask for explanations.
    I really want to thank everyone who has answered.