Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-shaped handle

Quote Originally Posted by eighteesix View Post
    "tang" is not in the glossary. styles of tangs are. what is a tang? the "notch" at the end of the handle?
    The tang is the hidden part of the knife that goes into the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by eighteesix View Post
    Maybe i dont understand the definition of a D-shaped handle. I was under the impression that a wa handle strictly has an octagon shape which is not the same as a D-handle. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Nope. Wa-handles may be D-shaped, oval, octagonal, or even a mix, as in the Suisin Inox hoyanki series which has a wa-handle that is half-octagonal on the top and oval on the bottom.

The "D" refers to the cross-section of the handle, which resembles the letter "D".

Rick
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

D handles suck for us lefties and should be banned as discrimination. I'm only half kidding too. I get tired of having right hand stuff forced on me just because there are more of them than us. And in the Japanese case, because left hand people are "shifty" what ever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    D handles suck for us lefties and should be banned as discrimination. I'm only half kidding too. I get tired of having right hand stuff forced on me just because there are more of them than us. And in the Japanese case, because left hand people are "shifty" what ever that means.
    Easily solved. Just re-install the handle the opposite way around. The 'reverse D'.

I've done that on a few that weren't glued down tight. I still think octagon is the way to go. Make everybody happy but the D-handle snobs happy.

Whoa, mike henry does d shaped handles now?
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller