Need a beginner jknife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chef Andy

Reaction score
So I got a gift card from knifewear for christmas (I work as a cook in ottawa) so I will be buying a knife from their store in ottawa. Kinda limits what I can get, but I'm not looking to get a super amazing knife anyways. This will be my first foray into jknives, so I'm hoping I can learn a lot about it. I want to get a knife and some sharpening supplies too.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? gyuto

Are you right or left handed? right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210-250mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? my total budget for this first buy is 250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Both, but I'm sure it will get more use at work.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) slicing and trimming meats and slicing/chopping/mincing veggies.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? n/a, this is the first time i'll be getting a knife where I will be looking after it myself.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) I use chop followed by walk most frequently, and slice less frequently.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Don't really need improvements, as I will be using this knife as my first introduction to jknives. I don't care about aesthetics at all. Comfort and ease of use are important. Edge retention is not, since I will hopefully be sharpening this knife often anyways.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Wood and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) no

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) yes

It has to be one of these knives: http://shop.knifewear.com/japanese-chef-knives

Welcome to KKF.

There are not many knives with Western handles in your price range, actually the only one that I could find is the Tojiro DP. It's a good introductory J-knife, and should be very well suited to your needs.

Rick

Haruyuki (aka) Akifusa PM steel. These have been around a long time, and have a reputation as being great performers.

Welcome to KKF.

There are not many knives with Western handles in your price range, actually the only one that I could find is the Tojiro DP. It's a good introductory J-knife, and should be very well suited to your needs.

Rick

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was leaning towards. I know I need to get a stone, but is there anything else that is essential for proper knife care?

Also, what stone would be good for the tojiro DP?

Haruyuki (aka) Akifusa PM steel. These have been around a long time, and have a reputation as having great performers.

If I were to go with one of these I wouldn't be able to afford a stone right off the bat. Is this knife considerably better than the tojiro DP?

It's slightly more than your budget, but a Takamura R2 Gyuto 210mm came to my mind right away.

I would suggest a visit to Knifewear shop and try a few knives. See which one can give you the wow factor.

And if you buy the knife from them, ask for a couple free sharpening services while you save up to buy sharpening stones.

Also you can learn the skill by watching and asking questions while the knife is getting sharpen.

Welcome to KKF.

It's slightly more than your budget, but a Takamura R2 Gyuto 210mm came to my mind right away.

I would suggest a visit to Knifewear shop and try a few knives. See which one can give you the wow factor.

And if you buy the knife from them, ask for a couple free sharpening services while you save up to buy sharpening stones.

Also you can learn the skill by watching and asking questions while the knife is getting sharpen.

Welcome to KKF.

Thanks for the advice. I know the r2 is a fairly hard steel, doesn't that mean it is more likely to chip? I will be using this knife pretty hard. Will that be an issue?

Thanks for the advice. I know the r2 is a fairly hard steel, doesn't that mean it is more likely to chip? I will be using this knife pretty hard. Will that be an issue?

This is what I read from: http://www.scribd.com/doc/171614531/takamura-Knives-pdf

Excerpt from item #3 in the FAQ:

"How is it that Takamura knives have such a high HRC but are not brittle?

The secret behind this is the powdered steel and the skill of the blacksmiths who can properly temper the blades tohave a hard edge without it becoming overly brittle."

Also you can refer to this post regarding R2 steel, used by different bladesmith (i.e. Mr. Itou)

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...and-SG-2-steel?p=170458&viewfull=1#post170458

Hope it helps...

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was leaning towards. I know I need to get a stone, but is there anything else that is essential for proper knife care?

Also, what stone would be good for the tojiro DP?

I also started with a Tojiro DP.

My first sharpening stone was King 1000/6000 combo stone. It can be had for around $50 dollars (US). I think its good stone to start with and you essentially have all the grits you need to maintain your knife until you get into more serious repairs or finishing.

I also started with a Tojiro DP.

My first sharpening stone was King 1000/6000 combo stone. It can be had for around $50 dollars (US). I think its good stone to start with and you essentially have all the grits you need to maintain your knife until you get into more serious repairs or finishing.

Ok awesome. I think that's what I'm going to go with. I'm not sure if they have that stone at knifewear, but I'll find out on Sunday when I go to test out some knives.

Ok awesome. I think that's what I'm going to go with. I'm not sure if they have that stone at knifewear, but I'll find out on Sunday when I go to test out some knives.

Please report your findings after your visit to knifewear. Thxs in advance...

I know you said you wanted a Western, but while you're there, look at and handle some of the wa-handled knives, like the Masakage Yuki, which is white steel clad in stainless. Very easy to sharpen, but easy to care for.

Rick

Rick

I know you said you wanted a Western, but while you're there, look at and handle some of the wa-handled knives, like the Masakage Yuki, which is white steel clad in stainless. Very easy to sharpen, but easy to care for.

Rick

Rick

Yep I'm gonna try a whole bunch of knives. I'll post what/if I buy when I get back.

Back