Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tsukiji Masamoto 240mm Gyuto - to thin or not to thin? That's the question

Tsukiji Masamoto 240mm Gyuto - to thin or not to thin? That's the question

Hello,

another beginners question from my side as I want to make my knifes to be they way I like them.

I have a nice Masamoto Gyuto which I bought at the Tsukiji fishmarket in Tokyo, which was really a nice shopping experience btw.

I like the knife a lot for it's feel in the hand and the shape of the blade. Unfortunately cutting with the knife is always a little bit hard, I guess because the profile is not really that much thinned compared to my other Gyuto, see the picture below.

I am not sure if I should try to thin it by myself as I only have limited experience with thinning (only once with my Zakuri which had the angle "build in") and on the other side the V1 steel of the Masamoto should be quite hard.

- Any advice/tipps on this if I wanna try it by myself? I've watched the video about thinning from Japanese Knife Imports which explains the basics pretty well. Available stones are a 400 Naniwa professional, a big green "noname" 1000 ceramic stone I bought in Tokyo and a 3000/8000 naniwa combi superstone. Also a 1000/4000 combi stone from japan-messer-shop.de is available.

- If it is better to send it to a professional sharpener: can you recommend someone within Europe? I found only JNS at the moment, but the website says that he does not do sharpening at the moment because of travel activities.

Greetings
    Stefan

That thing definitely needs to be thinned. I would try it yourself. I would pick up a large XC DMT stone, myself. Just take it slow and continually check your work.

It would definitely benefit from thinning.
    The procedure is more scary then hard. Be read to ruin the blade's face finish with lots of scratches.

Thanks for the answers. Im more scared about to ruin the blade completely, I don't really care for scratches....

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Thanks for the answers. Im more scared about to ruin the blade completely, I don't really care for scratches....
    Scratches won't "ruin" a blade, they are just cosmetic. If they bother you that much, then just learn how to remove them - it's not difficult, just tedious.
    “I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.”

Yeah, that's a porker...and an excellent learning opportunity.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Scratches won't "ruin" a blade, they are just cosmetic. If they bother you that much, then just learn how to remove them - it's not difficult, just tedious.
    I ment more to ruin the blade with a wrong angle or uneven grinding etc. I don't really care about scratches, in the end it's just a tool....

I will think about doing it by myself, but "I would prefer not to". Any recommendations for a professional service within Europe? Anyone know if Lorenzi in Vienna is a good place for a job like this?

Maxim?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I thought about JNS as well, but the website says he does not do sharpening services at the moment....

Are you from Germany? Send it to Jürgen Schanz, he is one of the best custom knife makers in the world. He will do a first rate job on your knife. He has his own sub-forum on www.messerforum.net where you can contact him (or you do it by private message). He also has his own website here: http://www.schanz-messer.de/

IIRC it costs around 25€ without shipping costs.