Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One big mistake, and many little ones...

One big mistake, and many little ones...

I consider myself a fairly good knife sharpener, but it hasn't always been the case. Like many, I have made mistakes during the learning process. The one I could not fix involved wobble of the knife in my hands, where the side brushed up against the stone, and the knife finish was either brightened, or buffed. I have a few of these.

Recently however, I made a big mistake. I have several Suisin Momiji knives, three carbon and one ginsan. Two are the 195 length, both carbon, but one is single bevel and the other the so called “so-momizi” which is double edged. They both look very much alike.

So I am sharpening on Jnats, now on the takashima. With the double bevel knife I am merely doing the edge; with the single bevel I am working the entire bevel. Except. Somehow I was not paying close enough attention (I don’t drink) and sharpened the double bevel as though it was single bevel. Both sides, including refined ura-oshi sharpening.

Here is the unfortunate result:
    http://www.liftmarketing.com/mistake1.jpg
    http://www.liftmarketing.com/mistake2.jpg

So I wonder what can be done to fix this knife, and, to a lessor extent, the worst cases of my previous mistakes? I have sent knives to sharpeners before, but these knifes are sharpened quite well! Can they be polished on a machine? Or, is there something I can do at home?

Wonderful knife, in perfect working condition. Just not very pretty, for now...

I would suggest some Micro mesh pads and some sort of compound like Semmichrome, it is a little more aggressive then Flitz

Sadly, my Harley dealer no longer carries Semmichrome. They have their own brand now, which I got. But won't that just put scratches on the entire knife...?

Just checked: Semichrome and micro mesh pads are available at a Woodcraft in my city! Any advice on the pads to get...?

the pads come in a range of grits in a variety pack, and go all the way up to 12k, I use semmichrome on my knives and it doesn't scratch up the knife at all

So, please help me out with the basic concept here. I have a shiny knife with some buff scratch patterns on it. So, I am to further abrade this with sanding pads? Then apply polish? And this is going to make the buff part shiny again...?

As the scratch pattern becomes finer it will be less visible. Polishing leaves very fine scratches - you just can't see them.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

use the pads to buff out the scratches, start low I guess, and then use the polish, to clean it up

I am not an expert, but my experience is you have to make all the scratches parallel to get a mirror polish. Work one side a time, clamp the blade down to something flat and work from base to tip with progressive grits of micromesh pads. If the scratches are deep you may have to use some sandpaper as well. Once you have worked through the micromesh grits it should be quite mirror like if you take your time at each grit. It takes some time and elbow grease just working in one direction base to tip. You could then buff it with semichrome or flitz to get it even more mirror polished. I use a little buffing wheel attached to an electric drill with flitz in my home workshop and have had good results.

There are some you tube videos of mirror polishing blades that you could check out as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Just be glad it's carbon and not stainless clad, SS is a b*&ch to polish.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey