Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinning?

Thinning?

Hey guys I just recieved a mario gyuto and it one of the older ones I think it doesent have a makers mark and its quite a work horse not like the thinner ones hes making now. It feels nice in hand but I also feels slightly heavy but very well balanced. I sharpened it the other day and got it to a nice sharp edge and it enters food nicely and haas very little stiction but it just feel different to my other knives when I cut it doesent feel as sharp even though it should and it is. When I cut with my masamoto ks, kono hd, martell, or tanaka ironwood it feels kind of like it just drops through better without any effort where as this knife takes a bit more effort to cut but it also has little to no stiction and cuts very well it just feels odd. Its alot thicker behind the edge than most of my knives. So my question is should I thin this knife alot or is it just the geometry of the knife and how its meant to feel? I havent taken it into pro kitchen yet and used it alot so ill probly do that first. What do you guys think. Sorry if I explained it weirdly. Here is a choil shot sorry for the phone pics[IMG][/IMG]

First of all. What is that handle made out of that you got a reflection like that?

Mario's pre makers mark blades carry a lot of convexity all the way to the tip. I think a lot of other knives flatten out in the tip area because sticking is naturally decreased due to a reduced blade height. As a result I have found the pre makers mark knives to be biased to pull cutting. This point was illustrated well lately when myself and another forum member were testing a wide range of knives on butternut squash dice. With ever other knife he used a push cut exlusively. When he switched to the pre makers mark Mario he switched to a pull cut almost immediatly without making a deliberate decision to do so, it just naturally happened. I am naturally inclined to default to a pull cut and even my vertical cuts on onion dice and jullienne onion has a bit of a pull to it so it is an ideal knife for me. It has a lot of character and as you stated the release is amazing but it does not have the universal broad range market appeal that his current grind offers.

I will also say that my pre makers mark Mario gyuto is my favorite knife. But I never use it at home. When going slow and really making love to the cuts it does not shine. At work with a deadline and a mountain of prep I have never reached for anything else. At speed it is the most predictable knife I have ever used. So take it to work and give it a try when you are behind. Or just pretend you are Salty and cut like him, that knife is really good for that style.

When you thin it make sure you are on your A game because it is going to change the look of the knife from a show piece to a work knife if you aren't adept at mirror polishing. I have thinned mine and it didn't take as much thinning as you might think to get it to cut better.

And if you still don't like it. Please let me be the first to know.
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

I would just thin behind the edge a little wt. regular sharpening.Esp. since you already have thinner gyuto's.I have a few thicker J-carbon knives,since they are so sharp,cutting is not a problem.Also much less stiction.For some prep jobs a thicker blade is better as long as the grind is good.Lazors are also good for diff. types of jobs.Good to have both

Keithsaltydog is absolutely right. Enjoy the complimentarity of the different blades. That being said, thinning behind the edge will certainly increase performance without altering the fundamental geometry.

When I got the knife the blade face was very scratched up from thinning and I refinished the whole blade face so im not worried about that I occasionally do it to all my knifes. Also thanks for the wise words and ill have to try it at work like I said I really like it but it feels different.

Also the wood is natural amboynia and when I got it it was coated in true oil which made it look cheap and horrible so I sanded it feomm 400-1200 and really hand buffed some boardsmith boardwax into it about 3 times and I got a real natural shine to it

To me the grind looks good on that blade.Now you have the handle looking better,should be a go to work horse knife.

What Chuckles said above is pretty much on point in regards to Mario's grind and style of knife. It does cut a bit different than most. Him and I were discussing this about a month ago when he compared it to a sports car. As in they are built for speed and meant to go fast. If you're not a real fast cutter, the knife might not perform as well as others for you personally. After he mentioned that I went back to work with that in mind, and sure enough Chuckles was right on point. You speed up and that Mario is at its best. (I'm not insinuating you're a slow cutter by any means here. I'm using a more universal all encompassing "you" here)

Also, Jai, I'd like to see some more pics of your Mario if you'd be so inclined.

+1 to more pics, and the speed cutting comments. My Masamoto KS and Shig were/are excellent at julienning an onion in under 5 seconds. The Itonomonn kurouchi, and ITK not so much. All great knives to some degree or another just better at some tasks than others. It does look like it could be thinner behind the edge though, IMO.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Ill get some more pics this arvo and I think I can cut fast enough. Ill post a link to vids I have on youtube. They arent of the mario but it should show some speed.